My Beautiful Bottom

Now that I've got your attention....:D

Just like to say thanks to all the people who posted info on how to restore your lasers' bottom on this site. If you look at the attached photos you will see what can be achieved on a mid 80's boat.

I would also like to share some of what I have learnt during this process:
  • Be prepared for plenty of arm excercise
  • I used wet and dry sand paper and started at 280 grit and then went to 340, 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000.
  • I used advice from here and sanded diagonally, alternating the diagonal direction with each grade.
  • I always used a good squirt of quality dishwashing detergent in the water that I use to wet sand with. It really helps the paper to slide easily and cut efficiently.
  • After each grade of paper rinse boat off. After wiping off excess water with a towel I use the palm of my hand to wipe off any left over grit. Your hand will feel the smallest bit of grit.
  • On the last two grades of paper go up and down the longitudinal length of the hull. This gets rid of the diagonal sanding marks.
  • Finishing polishes - I used Ronstan "Boat Smart Gelgoat Polish" first, then 3M Finish It II (Brilliant stuff), then Turtle "Ice" Car polish (New generation car polish that can go over plastic surfaces)

Anyway hope this helps.

Ta Ian

Attachments

• SANY0016.JPG
    SANY0016.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 286
  • SANY0017.JPG
    SANY0017.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 252
  • SANY0019.JPG
    SANY0019.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 260
  • SANY0020.JPG
    SANY0020.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 252
  • SANY0021.JPG
    SANY0021.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 254
Looks great. I might be doing some of that this winter as well.

btw - ICE is great for your car/truck, because you can use it on everything. paint, plastic trim, whatever.

But it has to be done frequently to keep a shine. Like once a month.

I use a good carnauba on the boats like this:
fleetwax870.jpg

Back