my 1979 sail is silky

stevie jr

I have a 1979 sunfish sail that is so soft its silky.Am I losing efficiency in my sail because of this or am I gaining power.Also is it worthwhile purchasing a new sail when this happens.

I have a 1979 sunfish sail that is so soft its silky.Am I losing efficiency in my sail because of this or am I gaining power.Also is it worthwhile purchasing a new sail when this happens.

Sail shape, and your usual sailing conditions, probably matter more.

Is it a racing sail (usually white, with window, made by North) or recreational one? Old soft racing sails can be just fine and pretty nice and even preferable in very light conditions.

If it is a recreational sail you can get dramatic improvement in sailing by upgrading to a racing sail, including the $119 Intensity clone. You will probably be impressed.

Sail shape, and your usual sailing conditions, probably matter more.

Is it a racing sail (usually white, with window, made by North) or recreational one? Old soft racing sails can be just fine and pretty nice and even preferable in very light conditions.

If it is a recreational sail you can get dramatic improvement in sailing by upgrading to a racing sail, including the $119 Intensity clone. You will probably be impressed.
thank you very much for the reply.It is a recreational sail.

Back