Moving the gooseneck... Not sure how to best ask the question.

shorefun

Per the Sunfish Bible....
(I am just learning so I have no idea)

In light air move the neck forward on the boom and heavy air move it rearward.

The book states from 14" to 16". Is that still true today?

So how does one approach figuring out the best position?
How granular is it, that is will a 1/2" make a difference or is it more of light wind put it at 14" and heavy wind 16".
Or do the high end guys look at the winds and know 15.5" today and 14.25 the next day?

I guess one also needs to consider halyard postion on the upper boom too.

Keeping things simple...
What should a beginner do with sail set up.
How much effect does each change have?

So far I have figured out the first thing you have to learn to sail well is the dance for tack and gybe.
I am getting better at that, still working on the gybe. It is intimidating in heavy winds.

I want to learn roll tacking.

Sail set up is all new to me and something to better understand. I plan on taking my boys to race at the local races every thursday in my area. I figure I will learn some stuff there.

In light air many set the gooseneck at 14" or 15".
In heavy air one can move it backwards to 18" or so.
A happy medium would be 16".

With respect to sail shape, in big breeze you want the sail flatter; adjust the Cunningham and outhaul accordingly.

Sunfishes do not roll tack easily; I suggest you leave that to much later.

Reactions: tag
Shorefun - It use to be we never moved the goosenekc, roll tacked and we sailed with the sail high.

I would just get out on the water first and just sail. Practice going upwind and downwind in nice medium air. Make sure all your equipment is working. Have a piece of yarn on one of the sail clips as a wind indicator. Make sure you have a centerboard retainer. Then go upwind for a distance doing 5 tacks, making sure you have speed before the tack and push the tiller quickly to get bow over and getting a rhythm. The rhythm will vary with the windspeed. Then sail downwind and do 5 jibes, put the tiller over to start the gybe and sheet quick to control the sail as it crosses over and let it out. Do some reaching on both port and starboard.

Just get used to the feel. Keep reading and sailing. As you get more comfortable what you read will make more sense when you are on the water.

Back