Motion Sickness

Sailkb

Strange scenario. Friend of mine has always wanted to learn to sail. I am in my second year on a Sunfish so am no expert, but when I ran across a great deal on another fish, I offered it to him along with some simple lessons from me. He got his hands on some reading material and we scheduled our first outing. We had a wonderful, light wind day for him to learn and he was doing great. However, after about an hour he said he had to go in. He had been sweating profusely and was dizzy and nauseous. Driving home we were trying to figure out whether or not he was overheated (it was a 100+ degree day) or sea sick. He had no history of getting sick on the water. In fact, has recreated on the water much of his life, including wave runners and kayaks. We chalked it up to overheating. This past weekend we had a second outing. Very light wind, no waves. After about 30 minutes he was so dizzy we had to take it in before he became more ill as happened last time out. My friend has given up on the idea of sailing. Again, he has been on the water with no problems all his life. In fact, he had just been power boating a few days prior. We both are very disappointed. He understands there is medication to help, but doesn’t want to deal with it that way.
Anyone offer an explanation? Heard of this before? Maybe the head motion, up and down as he is surveying his sail, could cause this? Might he do better in a bigger boat?

Could be the head motion, vestibular overstimulation out of axis and out of sync with the visual system. Maybe he needs to face forward at first? Looking at horizon helps, plus make sure he has eaten a little (crackers) and is hydrated. Some folks like flat ginger ale, it naturally settles the stomach. In flight training we'd spin them in a chair or a box, "desensitization", until they got past it or had to drop out.

http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/motion-sickness.6850/
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080101130741AALSCd1

Hmm...and I fall asleep! :oops:

Was the "great deal" on the Sunfish due to insecticide or some other toxic substance? :(

Back