More Goldfish reports and Qs.

Catya

Hi,
Well I can now report that my 70's Goldfish weighed 158 lbs yesterday. I'm hoping she'll come down some with some air exchange. I have a tube pushed way into her bowels--it blocks about 1/2 of the transom drain. I'm leaving a computer fan running most of the time, but when I'm in the area, I trade that out for my air mattress pump--which says it should not be run for more than 20 minutes, but on the basis of the heat of the thing, I'm going for more like 10 on 20 off. THe computer fan is attached to the end of some dryer vent and stupes down to the 3/5" tubing via a plastic funnel. Of course, the whole thing is Red Greened with super tape. This unit is sitting on a music stand in a horizontal position. There's a tarp and squeeze clamps standing by waiting for passing thurnderstorms. If she's carrying water, I suppose it would take forever for it to get out using this approach (and no observation port), but I'm still hoping some good will come of it. It's so strange that I can pick up a 100 lb bail of hay without killing myself, but struggle so to carry 1/2 of this 'fish. I was sure she'd weigh more. Does anyone have a fork lift they want to give me? ;~)

I let a little air pressure build up for a minute and tried a leak test on the hull (I'll do the deck next time she's turned that way). I didn't get any bubbling--but there is one area on the hull side of the lip next to the edging that seemed to me to be letting in water--but not bubbling. It's a small crack--about 1/8" and it seems that the water goes in there. My question is, can I just put some silicone on it so that I can get the boat out and see whether the mast step will hold up to wind? If the rest of the boat works, I'll deal with patching it, but I just want to get the thing in the water.

I was patching the sails yesterday when I discovered that the nice person who gave me the boat forgot to include the mast. It's 2 hours away, but it might be coming tomorrow, if he can figure out how to carry a 10' pole on/in a 2 seater car. Well, I'm off to finish putting sail tape on small holes in the sail.
________
Honda CBR954RR

Catya,

I would not use silicon in the crack. It will cause problems cleaning out of the crack and with adhesion of the epoxy later. A better temporay fix would be to take a little time now to clean out the crack (sand or grind), then wipe down the fiberglass with acetone (wear gloves) and apply some epoxy with a thickener (micro ballons, chopped fiberglass, colloidal silica, etc.) to your crack. You need something better than the 5-minute stuff you can get at Wally World or the Big Box stores as they remain a little rubbery. West System, MAS, System 3 are all good brands (check you local marine supply). West has a small repair pack ( 101 Handi Pack) that has 2 packets of epoxy, filler, cleaning pads, mixing sticks, aplication brush and instructions. I believe System 3 and MAS have similar kits. Hope you get your mast soon. Good Luck.

MarineTex works wonderfully for cracks and small gaps/holes. It's a thickened epoxy compound and available in small quantities in black, white, aluminum. it also sands like a dream.

Mike, Catya

Like duh, and I have a kit sitting on the work bench, Excellent suggestion, a lot easier and less messy than epoxy with thickener.

Back