modifying and old trailer

cyclemaniac1213

I just picked up this trailer for $75 on craig's list. The trailer looks good rust wise, nothing i could put a screw driver through. The bearings in one of the wheels sounds shot(it squeaked the whole way back to my house). I want refit this thing to fit my minifish and i would like some suggestions.

Right now im planning to go over it with a wire brush and an angle grinder to get rid of any surface rust, prime it and paint it. I need to make some cradles and i need any advice i can get.

Ive already read all the articles on shortypen.com. I also need to make a light bar and get the thing registered even though i have no title. I live in Ct and im not sure about the laws regarding trailer registration without a title so and help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• S3010176.JPG
    S3010176.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 46
  • S3010177.JPG
    S3010177.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 51
I recently bought an old trailer with no title. So I registered it as a homemade trailer. No problem getting a new vin # and plates. As far as building bunks, go to sunfish sailor photo section and look at skylark's trailer. I kind of followed his style and the bunks turned out great. Instead of tracing the hull line with a compass on a piece of 2x6x8' , ( I tried doing that and it looked liked I had a nervous disorder) I marked down 1 and half inches in the middle of the board, extended that length 1 foot on each side of that mark, At 1 foot from the end of the board the mark was 1 inch and then angled the line to the end of the board. Used a jigsaw to cut the board, then used a circular saw angled at 15 degrees to smooth out my lousy jig saw cut. I used 1/4" plywood 2 layers for the bunks, painted the plywood to keep it protected from the elements. I covered the plywood with a styrofoam padding that is used under the liner of above ground pools. It is very dense and it won't fall apart. I put 3 layers of that on the bunks, I used large washers and screwed it the plywood. I covered it with out door carpet, rubber backed, and screwed that to the bunks, use screws and washers to attach the carpet to the bunk. Keep the bunks approx. 28 inches apart and your finished! :)

Bill

Back