Minifish Lower Boom & Gooseneck Positions

Aaron Wasilewski

I understand that there are favorable positions for the lower boom fore and aft depending upon the strength of the wind. I presume this is a matter of presenting more or less sail to the wind for increased volume across the windward side of the sail.

From a purely novice perspective:
1. Where should the lower boom meet the gooseneck? When I took mine off for cleaning, it appeared to be about 16" aft of the location where the end cap met the boom tube itself.
2. I have seen pictures of marks placed on the lower boom in 1" increments (17"-24") indicating locations for additional positions to place the lower boom.
3. How does the bicycle quick lock replace the brass screw in the gooseneck? Does is thread into the same hole or pass through it? The hole is pretty small to begin with.

Also:

I was curious as to the opinion of placing a cleat on the mast to remove the downward force on the deck cleat. I have read opinion both ways. If I choose to install one, what is a favorable distance from the end of the mast to install one (From the actual mast end not the deck)? I understand that to high wont place enough tension on the halyard and to low may of no bennefit and get in the way of passing the line to the deck cleat for security.

One last thing:
My Minifish had the "hook" mounted on the forward end of the footwell just below the top. I presume this acted as the "cleat" for the mainsheet. Does anyone know if there is a wood backing block inthis position? I was considering an inspection port installed to the port side of the centerboard slot for other purposes but dont want to do it any earlier than I have to as I am going to be refinishing her topside. My question relates to my plans to install a ratcheting block in this position and I would like to use this location and install a custom stainless bracket to mount the block onto, similar to the block/jam cleat that Harken sells.

Thanks in advance to any of you who respond. The forum has been very benneficial to me thus far!

Regards,

Aaron

I understand that there are favorable positions for the lower boom fore and aft depending upon the strength of the wind. I presume this is a matter of presenting more or less sail to the wind for increased volume across the windward side of the sail. It has nothing to do with "presenting more sail." It has to do with balancing the center of effort of the sail to be hopefully directly above the centerboard so the boat will sail without too much weather helm (you have to pull on the tiller to go straight) or any lee helm at all (that is when you have to push on the tiller to go straight.) The latter is always bad.

1. Where should the lower boom meet the gooseneck? When I took mine off for cleaning, it appeared to be about 16" aft of the location where the end cap met the boom tube itself. Minifish knowledge will be hard to come by, but that sounds about right. It is similar for a Sunfish. If there is massive tug on the tiller, move it back a bit. If you are having to push on the tiller to go straight, move it fwd.
2. I have seen pictures of marks placed on the lower boom in 1" increments (17"-24") indicating locations for additional positions to place the lower boom.
3. How does the bicycle quick lock replace the brass screw in the gooseneck? Does is thread into the same hole or pass through it? The hole is pretty small to begin with. If one side of your gooseneck is threaded, you have to drill out the threads so the quick-release bolt goes though both holes with a little clearance.

Also:

I was curious as to the opinion of placing a cleat on the mast to remove the downward force on the deck cleat. I have read opinion both ways. If I choose to install one, what is a favorable distance from the end of the mast to install one (From the actual mast end not the deck)? I understand that to high wont place enough tension on the halyard and to low may of no bennefit and get in the way of passing the line to the deck cleat for security. For whatever reason, the Sunfish class says the cleat cannot be more than 4 feet from the bottom of the mast and it works fine there.

One last thing:
My Minifish had the "hook" mounted on the forward end of the footwell just below the top. I presume this acted as the "cleat" for the mainsheet. Does anyone know if there is a wood backing block inthis position? I was considering an inspection port installed to the port side of the centerboard slot for other purposes but dont want to do it any earlier than I have to as I am going to be refinishing her topside. My question relates to my plans to install a ratcheting block in this position and I would like to use this location and install a custom stainless bracket to mount the block onto, similar to the block/jam cleat that Harken sells. The hook did not act as a cleat, but rather a "poor man's Harken" at its role is to have pull from the sheet directed down towards the deck for better sail shape. You will be much happier with a Harken!!!

Thanks in advance to any of you who respond. The forum has been very benneficial to me thus far!

Regards,

Aaron

The hook is mounted on the front lip of the cockpit on a Sunfish and is very easy to reach. I don't think that is the case for the Minifish. On the Sunfish, the backing plate is not attached to the hull like the wood blocks are, so if the Minifish is the same, the plate will fall into the hull once the mounting screws are removed.

1. Where should the lower boom meet the gooseneck? When I took mine off for cleaning, it appeared to be about 16" aft of the location where the end cap met the boom tube itself.

Mine is at 16¼". I think it's important to keep the clew out of high waves, which can lead directly to a capsize. :(
(Or a "boom" to the head). :p

Back