Minifish help requested

Sniper725

Hello everyone. I have recently acquired a minifish hull yet she didn't come with the rig. I would like to set her up like the mini II. I have the chane to buy a sail from an older snark wildflower. These are the sail specs.....
Main Dimensions Luff 15'3" Foot 7'8" 63 sq ft. This is a loose footed sail. Do you think this size will be proportional.

Thanks.
Scott

Hello everyone. I have recently acquired a minifish hull yet she didn't come with the rig. I would like to set her up like the mini II. I have the chane to buy a sail from an older snark wildflower. These are the sail specs.....
Main Dimensions Luff 15'3" Foot 7'8" 63 sq ft. This is a loose footed sail. Do you think this size will be proportional.

Thanks.
Scott

It's been done with approx that size (see links at the bottom).

I have a mini2, plus like you, another mini hull that I also wanted to set up as a mini2. It would be nice if they were similar performance, but not necessary.

This project has been a challenge, specifically the foot length, which I would like to keep at the mini's 6 ft boom length if possible. In my case I took a Laser radial sail, which is about the size you are looking at, and tried trimming the leech to approximate the m2's sail. I have a cut sail now - That is still a work in process. I got some sail edge tape for the cut edge of the leech for reinforcement and someday soon hope to stitch it up.

Interesting note - the. M2 battens are substantially longer than the Laser battens, but i'll just go with the existing laser-length batten pockets.

You can try the longer foot and see how it works. I like the shorter m2 boom length though and the force5-style mid boom sheeting (as opposed to the laser system, with the seet to the end of the boomnand the traveller on the stern). The mini is pretty small, including the cockpit, to have laser-type sheeting set-up.

I would be very interested in what you are using for a mast and boom.

Two interesting links related to this:

http://earwigoagin.blogspot.com/2010/10/another-classic-moth-frankenboat-fish.html

http://sailingforums.com/threads/laser-sail-on-sunfish.19743/

I will be very interested in your approach and progress.

Hello, I have recently acquired a minifish . All parts are present and usable but it has no bow handle. Can you tell me if there's enough support structure under the hull to support a bow handle if we want to add one? As it is, there is no way to to tow thw boat.

On one of the hulls I have, someone had installed a Sunfish handle without backing and it seems to have held up very well as the fiberglass on the deck there is very thick. If I were going to do that I would pick up one from maybe IntensitySails, and dip the stainless deck screws in 3M 5500.

I don't like the handle on the minimalist Mini however, and use the Mini's method for the bridle attachment for the bow handles, which is to say don't use hardware at all but instead put a line through the hole in the gunwal secured by a knot on the underside, just like for the bridle. You could also just tie a small loop through that hole; juse a foot or maybe a little more of line and tie a loop handle. I use a short piece of kevlar-type line that will never fray or chafe, but in any case just smooth any rough spots around the hole that would damage the line.

The mini is so light I prefer to car-top it, and the little loop on the bow works just as well as a bow handle for tieing down the boat securely to the front bumper. In fact I feel more confident about the kevlar loop than I would a handle. It is strong enough to support the entire boat weight.

Hello, I have recently acquired a minifish . All parts are present and usable but it has no bow handle. Can you tell me if there's enough support structure under the hull to support a bow handle if we want to add one? As it is, there is no way to to tow thw boat.
Whatever you do with respect to the handle, be careful and limit the speed as you tow the boat.

I appreciate your advice unfortunately the gunwal hole cracked when we were using a wheelie to transport it.

I appreciate your advice unfortunately the gunwal hole cracked when we were using a wheelie to transport it.

In that case I would fill the hole and cracked area, probably with MarineTex, and smooth it out.

If it were mine I would probably then just drill a couple of new holes a little further back along the edges for the rope handle.

Back