Minifish Construction: Rear Bridle Eyes

Aaron Wasilewski

My '77(?) Mini has the rear bridle lines run through two holes drilled through the gunnels. Is there interior support that would allow me to mount eyes on the top deck near the gunnel so I may properly rig the rear mainsheet traveler block?

Attachments

• bridle.jpg
    bridle.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 23
Wasn't the boat made with the bridle run thru the holes? Therefore there isn't going to be anything inside to act as a backing block- I doubt they built in backing blocks on the odd chance someone would want to change the rigging. I'd keep it simple and sail the boat as designed. BB

Yes, it had a rope runner through the top deck. It is wearing on the rope and it seems senseless to kepp replacing it rather than install two small blocks (Harkin 20 series perhaps?) with backing plates. I know I would have to install an inspection prot to get to the backs. IU would rather fill the two big holes with glass and resin and sela the small holes which are less likely to leak. Just trying to gatehr data and make her as good as the 30+ year old gal can get. Thanks

Keep in mind that the range of motion of your tiller will be decreased when you add bridle eyes if you add them on the deck. Seems it would be easiest and not limit your range of motion if you add the eyestraps on the rolled edge of the deck. You can thrubolt them right through the edge near where the existing holes are - no inspection port needed. That is how a Laser is constructed. BB

Keeping in mind what BB has written, check out the clonefish—Porpoise II—answer.

They've put a metal hoop atop the tiller. :cool:

The photo was taken just after purchase. Don't ask me why there's a block on it—I don't recall! :confused:

Attachments

• DSC0041.jpg
    DSC0041.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 33

Back