Midwest Regatta

V

VBClaserJ

Hey all, this is john shockey. For my Senior Seminar Project for high school graduation, i chose to run and operate a Laser Regatta. The Regatta will be May 6th(saturday). there is already a strong group of sailors in the area that will be attending, and many others from Michigan and Indiana are going to be here as well. Vermilion is a beautiful and historical town, with a river that runs through which the club is located on. Sailing will take place on Lake Erie, so the water is going to be in the 40's at this date, which is managable with the proper gear. There will be plenty of safety boats and a great cast of volunteers to make it as big and successful as it can be! prizes,food and a good time are a given. The NOR is attached and further information can be found at the D18 site. This regatta is right in the middle of Midwest Laser sailing, so there is NO EXCUSE why you all shouldn't be here! looking forward for your attendance...Thanks
-John Shockey 150936
[email protected]
614-256-2254

Attachments

• NOTICE_OF_RACE_2006.doc
    92 KB · Views: 36
oh yes, Vermilion just in case you are too lazy to look it up, is in between Cleveland and Toledo, next to Sandusky and Cedar Point! 2 hours from columbus, 40 min from clev. 3 and half from Indianapolis. lets go sailing!

Who all is going? Im going but then again I am his brother. There are going to be some local sailors, along with some higher class sailors, so everyone will, or should have fun.

I went sailing yesterday to see how the water is, I wore some gill spray pants underneath my gill hiking pants, gill boots, Thermal Under Armor, Intensity Sails dry shirt, Gill Spray top, and the 06 midwinters east stocking hat. I didn't capsize to get wet, and was not cold surprizingly.

-Wind Conditions were in the upper teens, with heavy rollers from the east 3-6 footers......

You should come.
Host Club Vermilion Boat Club
http://www.laser.org/index.php?option=com_extcalendar&Itemid=140&extmode=cat&cat_id=10

lasersailorvbc said:
The weather is supposed to be beautiful......

It will be cool, which is perfect for wearing a wetsuit or dry suit. Plenty of wind, meaning there will be good sized waves, too. This will be a new challenge for me, but I'm bringing my Radial rig! Here's what Accuweather says:

Saturday
04.gif
Chance of a shower in the morning; otherwise, cooler with times of clouds and sun
High Temperature:
56° F
RealFeel®:
49° F
Winds:
NNW at 16 mph
Wind Gusts:
32 mph
Maximum UV:
Moderate (4)
Thunderstorm Probability:
4%

Kevin,
congrats on your regatta! It's pretty awesome that you got the whole thing put together and planned. I hope you have a great turnout and that the weather agrees for the racing. Wish I could make it, but I will still be here at school in Florida. Good luck this summer, I'll be coaching at Lorain so I'll see you around. Again, congrats on setting up the regatta.
-Jeff Dusek, LSYC Sailing

hey new WEATHER REPORT!!!: high around 60, SUNNY, 10 knts...UV index of 8/10. this is pretty much perfect for this time of the year!!! come out sail!

WHO IS COMING>!?!?!?!?

Lasers at Vermilion, by Janet Rupert

We had light air for John Shockey’s Senior Project regatta, and five races were completed with no throw outs. John served on Race Committee and his brother Kevin sailed in the regatta.
The day started off cold, blustery, and cloudy. In the morning the wind swept in at 20 mph from the north of Lake Erie. It whipped up 3 to 4 foot waves, real waves, not Lake Erie chop. The water temperature was in the low 50’s by one account and some of the sailors kept warm in dry suits, some in wet suits, and the rest in shorts and smocks. The gear was not too warm because the air stayed in the low 60’s.
We launched about a dozen rigged boats by handing them over the sea wall with nary a scratch. The sun broke through as we sailed a few hundred yards through the winding channel of the Vermilion River and then out to the racecourse about a mile into Lake Erie.
This sailor had trouble getting her sea legs in the waves with 4 or 5 bad tacks. It was intimidating to go into irons with each tack and slug along through the waves before and after. Canada was miles away and I hadn’t brought my passport. Then a light bulb went on. After adjusting the outhaul--looser, and the Cunningham--a tad tighter, tacking became smoother and the boat began making fair headway.
But by the time the race horn sounded, we still had the waves, but not the air. It was 8 to 10, so there was enough to carry us on the windward leeward courses twice around. I sailed in only two races before calling it quits due to knee pain and a busted rudder downhaul. RC radioed ahead, and I had plenty of help getting my boat over the sea wall.
Afterwards awards were handed out and we were treated to a nice BBQ. More finesse than muscle brought Rick Rothenbuhler first place. After the races he kindly answered my queries on whether he had used his body weight to point the Laser up the waves and fall off the wind behind? Not at all. In the light air he just footed to keep his speed up. I imagine great starts and hitting the shifts had a lot to do with his win, too.

Back