Masters Wrightsville Beach or Austin?

I can afford to go to either the Masters US Champs or North Americans, but not both. Wrightsville Beach or Austin? They are about the same distance from Tampa Bay. I'm a GM that finishes at the top third of that fleet, I'd say.
Which venue would be cheapest? I camp in the van. Anything that anyone knows that would sway me one way or the other? Oh, and not interested in big parties. I can no longer remember why that used to be fun.

Austin would definitely be cheaper, but Wrightsville Beach probably has a better chance of good wind.

Austin would be cheaper. I'm not aware of anywhere you can camp in your van at Wrightsville beach. You could try the club parking lot, but there would not be much privacy. Not that you care, but Austin I think will be a little more sociable. CYC has a great bar, but when I went there for the US NA's a couple of years ago everyone sailed and pretty much went to bed. I think it was because we were all tired. It's a few mile sail to the course and they set 1.5 mile weather legs then and it blew pretty hard which pulled all the party out of me at the end of the day. Wrightsville Beach is classic big ocean sailing and Austin is classic lake sailing, but it more likely to blow in TX when compared to other inland lake areas.

Any word on whether there is actual water in the lake in Austin this year?
As for "camping", experienced old travellers get creative. Any Wallmart Supercenter works.

Wrightsville Beach is one of those few remaining east coast beaches that has avoided being "commercialized". With the exception of a few hotels and 2 condo type developments the rest of the area is residential. The closest Wal-Mart is a bit of a hike from the regatta site, (unless there is one near the old military cutoff road retail development). For me this is one of the things that makes this venue so nice.

Back