mast

sfaloni

I have just gotten my first sunfish, a '77, and I'm doing some repair work on it. The base of the mast seems worn and there seems to be a peice of wood, maybe cork , in it that just seems loose and slides up and down. Should this be there? Should there be some sort of cover over the end of the mast?

sfaloni,

Yes, the mast should have a flat base cap (p/n V79032) for the bottom and a domed cap (p/n V79031) for the top. With out the bottom cap, the mast will act like a hole saw and can eventually cut through the bottom of the mast tube and hull. The new top caps have a fairlead hole that was designed to do away with the old pully attached to the mast top. Check the whole mast for corrosion and pitting that penetrates the mast wall. If just the end is corroded or rough, it can be cut off SQUARELY about a 1/4"-1/2" with a pipe cutter (see a plumber) or hack saw. Debur the inside of the mast and install the caps with the drive pins (or less favorable pop rivits) with a good bead of silicon to make the mast water tight. The cork plug was put in older masts and spars (at both ends) and can be removed with out problem.

Does anyone know the approximate price from a dealer for the bottom mast cap? Probably not worth trying to locate a "used" version of that piece. Thanks to this question I realized I need one also. John

Does anyone know the approximate price from a dealer for the bottom mast cap? Probably not worth trying to locate a "used" version of that piece. Thanks to this question I realized I need one also. John

I advocate shopping at and supporting your local Vanguard dealer, but to get an idea of the price of the mast cap, or any other part, click on our sponsor's banner at the top of this page (Annap Perf Sailing) and you can find the cap in their website.

Get that cap before you sail with that mast, or you will be sorry when it saws thru your boat!!!

BB

Thanks for the tip Beldar....I think APSS in Annapolis would probably qualify as my local dealer at the moment, I work in downtown Baltimore! John

I agree with Beldar, support your local Vanguard dealer. The mast base cap with rivet (p/n V79032) is $8 at APS and should be the same at any dealer not including tax and/or shipping. Vanguard sets the prices. Some people prefer to use the tapered pins (p/n V79513, $5.25 for a package of 10) because when installed, they are flush with the mast surface and less noticeable. I have not had any problems with either the rivets or pins. Don't forget to put some caulk (3M Marine Silicon or equivilent) on the cap to seal your mast.

Making my first pilgramage to West Marine tomorrow morning, surely won't be my last, so this all goes on the shopping list. :D John

Back