Mast Wear

tbone39772

My mast has an excessive amount of wear at the step mount where the through bolt goes, also it looks like some wear at the spreaders where it rubs against the mast. Any repair tips?

It might depend on what year you have and which mast version. Looking at those two spots on my mast, it doesn’t look like there’s much they can be done. The bolt on the mast foot seems to just prevent movement, it’s not really tying it together securely. The forestay and the shrouds hold the mast down.

I attached pictures of my mast 966B360D-08F8-43EE-AFF3-55D32A4813CE.jpeg312AA08E-7607-4AF9-A28D-20D42D020E7D.jpeg

Thanks for the photo. My ‘87 is just like that at the base of the mast but your picture shows a SS bushing and mine is long gone. Probably about a 1” rough slot now. My spreaders are held in with only a single pin not as yours depict with two bolts. I believe I’ll build me a inner sleeve and rivet it in with a bushing TIG welded in. I’m still working on a solution for the spreaders. I think the boat was stored most it’s life at the dock and wave action did it’s toll.20BA1BBD-7EEB-47B0-9AED-52838135D0B8.jpeg5E553100-9BAE-4F48-863F-41E4B674F013.jpeg

Last edited:
It might depend on what year you have and which mast version. Looking at those two spots on my mast, it doesn’t look like there’s much they can be done. The bolt on the mast foot seems to just prevent movement, it’s not really tying it together securely. The forestay and the shrouds hold the mast down.

I attached pictures of my mast View attachment 53496View attachment 53497
It looks like you have replacement spreader brackets that I am getting ready to install. The install instructions are lacking and I’ve been searching around for photos, etc.good to see this photo.

Back