Mast tube hole

brettg

I am new to lasers, and I recently was able to pick up a very inexpensive laser with a new sail and trailer. The price was right so I could not let it go.
Someone in the past used the mast tube repair kit to fix a broken mast tube. The repair looked good so it didn't bother me at the time. When I got the boat home and put the mast up I was supprised to find that there was about 1/2 and inch of play at the top of the mast tube. Is this normal? if not what do you do to fix it?

The other think is I can not find any hull ID on the transom. the only numbers I find are on the mast. The boat can with no papers, although the guy said he thought it was a mid 70's boat.

My boat has about half inch of plat fore and aft. Just not side to side I dont think. Anyways Lasers berfore 1974 or so had the number under the bow eye and anything after that on the transom.

I have noticed the oblong hole at the deck level and have wondered why it's done that way. Does anybody know?

I was able to find the number 3237 under the bow eye. it matches the numbers I found on the mast and rudder.

Sounds like to mast play is what I should have. Looks like it is just a matter of rigging up the boat (old style for now) and go sailing. Thursday night is race night.

Back