Mast stuck in mast tube

radiomon

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on removing a mast that is stuck in the hull? I have a 2010 Sunfish that I left on the beach on the Gulf Coast over the winter, and now the mast is stuck and wont come out. We had several freezing days this year but cant see what would cause the mast to not slide out. I have had several Sunfish over the years and have never heard of this problem before. Any help will be appreciated.

Sounds like sand has filled the mast step around the mast and you can't pull the mast out because of vacuum pressure. Can you somehow pump water into the mast step while you try to remove the mast? This might allow you to relieve the pressure as you pull up.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on removing a mast that is stuck in the hull? I have a 2010 Sunfish that I left on the beach on the Gulf Coast over the winter, and now the mast is stuck and wont come out. We had several freezing days this year but cant see what would cause the mast to not slide out. I have had several Sunfish over the years and have never heard of this problem before. Any help will be appreciated.

The mast is locked in with grit. Your best bet is to fashion a lever so you can turn or twist the mast in the hole ( like a heavy belt wrapping the mast and a pipe through the buckle) then work it back and forth as you pull up. Do not pry so hard you dent the mast. You can lay the boat down and rack the mast back a forth holding on to the top for leverage. Do not use oil as it will expand the grit. This has worked for me several times.

While the boat is lying sideways, try compressed air to blast out some sand, while wiggling. (The mast, that is). :p

If you've got 24-hours. seal the top of the deck with silicone, and imbed an air nozzle within the gap. Attach a strong bungee to a rafter (or if outdoors, a tree limb) and use moderate air pressure—about 40 psi. Wiggle again.

A hardware store could sell an inexpensive "strap wrench"—or you could use a "right-sized" strap wrench for automotive/marine metal fuel or oil filter canisters.

8b9fd17d-e619-4f7a-84e9-2d88a1c2b8fe.jpg

Thanks for the info. I will try the water jet and pipe strap idea. I have access to a water hose so I will give it a shot, while wiggling!

I would soak the tube with water and let it sit for a day or two. Soak again. Try to turn it a bit with the pipe strap. I would not wiggle it back and forth as you might break the bottom of the mast tube loose inside the hull or crease the mast.

Back