Mast step problems

europaflyer

I've just bought a '93 laser and foud that every time I sail the mast comes out of the mast step it is dripping black water. This worried me a bit as this would seem to show that the mast step is being worn by the mast. I am new to laser sailing so don't know if this is normal or something to worry about, or what to do if it is. The boat has been well looked after in every other respect.

the 'mast wear strips' sold by suppliers should help on the friction of the mast. if not familiar, you attach a strip around the mast near bottom and near the top of mast step just below deck. They are teflon and allow mast to still spin in the step.

I've just bought a '93 laser and foud that every time I sail the mast comes out of the mast step it is dripping black water. This worried me a bit as this would seem to show that the mast step is being worn by the mast. I am new to laser sailing so don't know if this is normal or something to worry about, or what to do if it is. The boat has been well looked after in every other respect.

First thing I would do is wash out the mast tube.
Then I would use a flashlight to see if the metal plate is there. Not sure whether these were factory installed in 1993 boats. If not, install the two disks that are recommended for this purpose (Mast Step Pro Wear Kit; http://www.apsltd.com/c-2224-laser-sparsandfittings.aspx).
Finally, also inspect the bottom of your mast; the bottom plug is subject to wear as well.

Is the black water coming out of the bottom of the mast? Have you ever taken off the lower mast end cap? Depending on where you live and where and how you store the mast, little critters have been known to put stuff in there. I found broken pieces of acorn in my boom once.

Back