Mast Step Help

tblaser2222

What I have is an old laser with the mast step let go from the bottom of the hull. I was lucky enough to have someone out with me and was able to hold the mast from ripping out of the deck. Anyways needless to say I have a couple questions if anyone could help.
So I have removed all of the old wood around the base of the mast tube and now would like some advice. My first question is (Since the two pieces of wood are on an angled part of the hull do I angle the wood or build the hull up to a flat surface for the wood to epoxy to?) Second (Any suggestions what I should use directly under the tube for the mast to rub against, it looks like there was a thick layer of resin possibly poured down the tube?) And third (There is now a 1/4 - 1/2 gap between the bottom of the tube and the hull, Do I need to apply weight to the top to get that touching?)
Other than those few things I’m on the way to being back in the water. Any useful info provided will be appreciated. I can email pictues if wanted. Thank you.

Thanks Corolla, but I would still like to know what to glue the flat peice of wood to if the hull is angled? And what to do about the gap, leave it of put weight on the desk to close it? Does anyone know these answers? Thanks again for all the help!

One can use the the West Systems epoxy and made a glue or filler with it that will bond the new mast step in place and it will probably never move again!

Awesome, I will source this localy thank you. But are you aware if I biuld the hull up then install the wood or do I angle the wood and glue it derectly to the hull?

One can use the the West Systems epoxy and made a glue or filler with it that will bond the new mast step in place and it will probably never move again!

The west system seems to work really well and its easy to use, making it level will be a little better for the step since forces on the tube will be balanced for all points of sail.

Yes, apply some pressure to deck, but not a lot. You want 14" depth when done filling, but do that as last step.

The wood is just filler, as the glass you will use to hold the wood will be doing all the work. So, set the wood in thickened epoxy, then glass over it. Be sure to rough sand anything that you hope the glass will stick to. Most of us run glass from the tube all the way to the inside hull, much more than the original design.

Lots of info and pics of this repair are on this site. Spend some time searching.

Al

Ditto on the previous post, with addition to pressure on the deck, there is a reinforcing piece of wood about 2" wide that runs from the Dagger-board trunk to the Mast Step.
Is the boat going to be used for racing?

This is purely a recreational boat and I don't plan on racing it. Thanks everyone for all the help. I will be fininshing this repair very shortly as the summer in quickly coming to an end. Any Ideas what type of epoxy to use and where I may be able to purchase it?

Mine is just a recreational boat as well but I only wanted to repair it once. That's why stuck in the brace across the under the deck and replaced the brace from the dagger board trunk and mast step.
I used the West systems epoxy.

Good luck getting the job done and getting on the water!

Id like to thank everyone for all the help. She is giong in the water tonight! Job done and mighty strong so... Lets hope for the best!

Back