Mast problems

wey2stupid2004

So yea, i flipped my sunfish coming through the surf at high tide this weekend, and in the process, snapped my mast. Anyone ever replaced one without buying it from the manufacturer. I havnt gotten the time to check the local home depot to see what they have, jsut wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction???

You need something beyond the scope of a big box store unless you want to take your chances with a hunk of conduit.

Check with a local aircraft aluminum supplier. Give them the OD and ID. Ask for a 6061 or 6063 t-4 to t-6 clear anodized tube. Tell them your application. They might be able to advise on which stiffness and temper is best.

Don't be surprised if the cost is right up there with a Sunfish dealer price.

Dan is right, Just call Tackle Shack or your local dealer. I just cut up 4 and sent them in for scrap. Jr was tough on them and I always thought I might get them welded . The cost was not worth the risk of being out and having it snap again.

If the stick broke at deck level or so. Just sand the end off (replace end cap) and sail with a Jens rig all the time. It sound like you like high wind. I did this during an final upwind leg once using a hunk of foam from a life jacket. If your not racing it really doesn't matter.

Thanks all, i just decided to order one offline, 130 dow n the drain, but a new one will be here in a week or so.

Thanks for the help

Back