mast hole

preston

What does the hole bottom need to look like on a 74 model . mine seems to be broken. i have a half ring and half cracked mess. I am considering mixing a little expoxy and pouring it in to level of ring to try to seal it. i do not think it is leaking into hull yet because tube will fill up with water and hold. help

preston said:
What does the hole bottom need to look like on a 74 model . mine seems to be broken. i have a half ring and half cracked mess. I am considering mixing a little expoxy and pouring it in to level of ring to try to seal it. i do not think it is leaking into hull yet because tube will fill up with water and hold. help

I don't know how the mast tube of a 1974 fish is supposed to look, but what you are proposing to do seems OK to me. Just clean things up and dry with (an) acetone (soaked rag). Let the acetone evaporate before you pour the epoxy mix.

BTW, instructions for mast tube repair can be found on the Vanguard site
http://www.teamvanguard.com/2005/ba...&dir=core&page=boats_repair&boatid=6#rigging7

YES! Also, I would add some kind of fiber (per Vanguard), maybe even a round of glass cloth, as long as you can pack it down smoothly or clean up any protruberances after the resin sets. If the cracks are due to stress, plain epoxy will seal the surface, but the cracks will open again.
Probably redundant to say so, but make sure the mast end cap is smooth and clean when the mast goes back in.

Back