Mast cleat

Dynamo

I recently bought 2 sunfish for me and my family to use, I'm having fun again sailing, no trailer, no engine, no crew... simple. I want to install a mast cleat. What is the best type of cleat and the best location, Rules state no more than 4 feet from bottom. So whats best 4 feet, 1 foot? Also where around the circumference in relation to the hole in the mast cap should I locate it. Thanks in advance for any replies.

This may not be the best cleat but I used a Sunfish 43026 cleat and installed it 3 feet from the bottom of the mast. That cleat is available from any Sunfish dealer or from APS (APS part number is V43026 for now.)

I went four feet up from the bottom. The higher it is, the less halyard stretch from the top of the mast. Too low may interfere with the gooseneck if you want to sail recreationally. Make sure it lines up with the hole in the mast cap so the halyard comes straight down to the cleat. I used a regular horn cleat in case I want to put in a Jens. I used stainless steel self threading screws and 100% silicone to seal screw holes.

Scott:
Are self threading screws strong enough to hold the cleat?
I assume you drill a small hole for the screws?

Fred

Back