Mast base reinforcement?

jdaus

My Laser doesn't have a serial stamp, but I think it is about a 1980 hull with several British stickers on it.

In very good shape, a solid hull, well kept.

I want to inspect the mast step to see if I should reinforce it. Where exactly should I put the inspection port if not centerline (to avoid the plywood reinforcement on centerline of the deck)? How far off approximately?

Does anyone know a good way to test the step (What is the technique for the crow bar method I saw in one thread???)

Also, are there some construction types that are worse than others? So, even if it is solid, I might want to reinforce it anyway?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Jim

First of all, I would clean out any debris that might have collected in the mast step. Then I would see if it holds water. Next, consider adding a metal 'wear' plate. Your hull most likely doesn't have one.

A port might be good to see if re-enforcement is necessary, but I would do the preliminaries first.
Finally, there is a lot of good info on mast step repairs in the FAQ section of the forum.

Thanks for the reply. Are you suggesting that if it holds water, I shouldn't bother inspecting? Curious your response to my other questions anyway?

Thanks,
Jim

Considering the age of your hull, I think that the majority of Forum members would favor taking a look via an inspection port. Prevention of mast step failure is the safer option for sure.

I want to inspect the mast step to see if I should reinforce it. Where exactly should I put the inspection port if not centerline (to avoid the plywood reinforcement on centerline of the deck)? How far off approximately?
Isn't this in the FAQ section? You want to be able to reach the step, obviously.

Does anyone know a good way to test the step (What is the technique for the crow bar method I saw in one thread???)
Most would just go with a visual inspection. Maybe put the lower mast in and move it around a bit (for and aft), as if you were sailing. Stressing the step in an unusual way may cause trouble.

Also, are there some construction types that are worse than others? So, even if it is solid, I might want to reinforce it anyway?
It's hard to generalize about construction types. Some older boats are great, others not so. As I stated earlier, reinforcement can't hurt once you have opened the hull. You should also consider the type of sailing you will be doing: alone in 20+ knots in waves, or just 5-10 mph on a flat lake with rescuers standing by.

Back