Mark 5 vs Mark 6 sails

Girlygirl

I just bought a used 2003 Laser Radial sail and would like to know if it is a Mark 5 or Mark 6. Did production of the Mark 5 end at a certain time, or how can I otherwise tell which it is?

Thanks,
GG

As noted, the MK. 6 will have blue and the MK. 5 won't. If it is a Mk. 5 and you plan to race the boat at all, I would find a Mk. 6, because the cut is better to the point that a Mk. 5 sail can't keep up with a Mk. 6 (I speed-tested both sails, so i know this is a fact, not a guess or a rumor for those of you that want to argue).

yeah the mark six sails depower more, but the mark fives are faster in light air, there is a reason heavier radial sailors bought up all the mark fives when they stopped making them, ive been told that fogh bought a bunch of them as well as the rooster guy, but those may have been rumors

The MK5 was/is a faster sail for heavier sailors especially as the breeze builds. But with the carbon top coming in, everything changes. It doesn't take a genius to see that the class wants to move the weight range down - first the Mk6, now the carbon top...

computeroman2 said:
As noted, the MK. 6 will have blue and the MK. 5 won't. If it is a Mk. 5 and you plan to race the boat at all, I would find a Mk. 6, because the cut is better to the point that a Mk. 5 sail can't keep up with a Mk. 6 (I speed-tested both sails, so i know this is a fact, not a guess or a rumor for those of you that want to argue).

Ian, some of your advice really cracks me up. Unfortunately you are again somewhat missinformed. If you weigh over 150 pounds you should definately try to find a MK 5 sail which will be much faster for you in most conditions. If you are under 150 the MK 6 is great and being used by the majority of Radial sailors today. I suspect once the carbon rig comes out there will be a MK 7 sail out to match up with it...

Back