Question Making sense of the traveller

alpe77

From what I've read, the purpose of the traveller is to keep the main sail centered when close hauled. Okay, but:

1: The traveller on the C14 is not adjustable (unlike in something like a Laser), so what does it do then?
2: The traveller is connected to the main sheet, so even if it were adjustable, letting it out would be the same as letting out the main sail, no? Why is the main sheet connected directly to the traveller?

Also, how long should the traveller line be? The previous owner of my C14 has set the line really short, allowing only a couple of inches of clearance above the tiller. Most other C14s I've seen have a much longer line. What's the tradeoff?

https://sailingforums.com/C14_Handbook.pdf See this site for class information, rigging specs, and a Quantum article on how to sail the boat. Also, North Sails has a tuning guide for the C14.2 online, somewhere. And, UCLA Sailing School's old basic course handbook uses the Capri14.2 for training. Lots of threads on the forum regarding most anything you can ask; just takes a little searching/researching. The C14.2 was designed by the Catalina developers as a responsive sailing dinghy. The traveler is really a bridle with no adjustment features, typical of a dinghy sailer. However, I think that most of us tie a loop in the center of the bridle/traveler and attach the main halyard blocks to that point, which effectively centers the "pull" above the center of transom. Suggested height of the center of the bridle above the transom are mentioned in the Quantum and North information as part of their discussion about mast rake. Others use a series of knots, adjusting for expected wind conditions. The cunningham, loose footed main with outhaul, and boom vang are way more than I have ever needed. As I mentioned, there is a world of information on the forum site since the beautiful little dinghy sailboat has been in production for so long.

https://sailingforums.com/C14_Handbook.pdf See this site for class information, rigging specs, and a Quantum article on how to sail the boat. Also, North Sails has a tuning guide for the C14.2 online, somewhere. And, UCLA Sailing School's old basic course handbook uses the Capri14.2 for training. Lots of threads on the forum regarding most anything you can ask; just takes a little searching/researching. The C14.2 was designed by the Catalina developers as a responsive sailing dinghy. The traveler is really a bridle with no adjustment features, typical of a dinghy sailer. However, I think that most of us tie a loop in the center of the bridle/traveler and attach the main halyard blocks to that point, which effectively centers the "pull" above the center of transom. Suggested height of the center of the bridle above the transom are mentioned in the Quantum and North information as part of their discussion about mast rake. Others use a series of knots, adjusting for expected wind conditions. The cunningham, loose footed main with outhaul, and boom vang are way more than I have ever needed. As I mentioned, there is a world of information on the forum site since the beautiful little dinghy sailboat has been in production for so long.
@Kerrcat14.2K Why do you want the "pull" to be centered above the transom? Why is it better than the traveler going back and fourth?

Why do you want the "pull" to be centered above the transom? Why is it better than the traveler going back and fourth?
Because with most sloop rigs (main + foresail) in up to fully powered conditions you end up with the boom at, or close to, the centreline when you sheet the sails for optimal upwind performance.

Therefore, you want the mainsheet lead to be at the centreline as well, or even to windward if the class rules allow for equipment that does that (I understand that the C14 rules don’t.).

In overpowered conditions you want to let the boom out, but if the traveller system isn’t fully adjustable, then it’s easiest to let out the sheet instead, while keeping the vang tight.

(The question was posed to another member but hopefully Kerrcat won’t mind someone else answering it :rolleyes: )

_

Great reply from LaLi and Kerrcat has no pride of authorship, so anyone should jump in.
The 14.2 has so many other ways to adjust the main without having an adjustable traveler. The first control is let out the sheet, and for me the second control is often adjusting the boom vang tension or even releasing it altogether. The adjustable outhaul is a great way to vary the tension on the foot of the mainsail and at times the cunningham can be a benefit. Truth is that since I no longer race I just leave the vang moderately tensioned, the foot tensioned at all times, don't even think about using the cunnigham, and get all of the mainsail control I need by use of the main sheet and switching to a reefed main if I feel like it is needed. The boat is incredibly responsive under jib and reefed main and can be kept on it's foot even more by furling the jib if needed. Happy sailing to all!!

Back