Mainsheet Ratchets

Simon_H

My RWO mainsheet block is broken and isn't 'ratcheting' anymore - the problem seems to be that the switch won't move to the ON position. Has anyone ever managed to recondition/fix such a ratchet block? (Bit short of cash at the moment!)

Eventually I will buy a new one - any tips on which to buy? I was considering the Harken Ratchomatic H019 - I'm not a particularly competitive sailor so I don't know that I need anything too serious.

Many thanks,
Simon

Hi Simon,

I took apart a nice lewmar ratchet, kinda by accident, and never got it together correctly again, so I can't help much. Are your sure yours isn't salt caked inside? Try soaking it in water for a day or two.

I use the ratchamatic, and have bought the new version, carbon air, to try, as it's adjustable, though I never had any reason to adjust mine. But, I don't see anyone moving to the ratchamatic, just using the 2.25 Hexa, or Fredrickson equivalent.

Try a search on e bay for "harken". you should be able to get a 2.25 Hexa for under 25. Or ask around at your club, as people move to Carbon airs, or Fredricksons. There has to be a lot of the old ones in spares boxes.

Al Russell 66451

Back