Mainsheet Hanger - How To Make

Starfish

I've drawn up some AutoCAD sketches and written out the instructions on how to make a mainsheet hanger for a Sunfish boom.........if anyone is interested. Here's a link to the PDF:
http://www.geocities.com/proflightrc/How-To-Make-A-Sheet-Hanger.pdf

This is one that I've made out of 1-1/4" PVC pipe. It's quite easy to make and should last indefinitely. Yeah......I know......there's probably a dozen different ways to do this but maybe it'll help someone...........:)

Thanks Brian! One thing I failed to mention is that the PVC hanger will handle up to a 3/8" dia. line and allows for approx. 1/4" total clearance between the boom and hanger. This allows the mainsheet to slide forward and backwards without fear of any binding in the line at the hanger.

I suppose the PVC hanger could be used on the Laser as well and one might apply a little upward pressure on the hanger as it's being tapped in place. This would force the "C" shape to open up a bit so the line clearance can be adjusted as necessary.

If one did not want to use the vinyl tape to install the PVC hanger, Velcro could be substituted by simply placing one part of the Velcro on each side of the hanger (or 1 piece on the hanger bottom) and taking the other part of the Velcro and strapping it over the boom and making the connection. Of course rubbing a little acetone on the PVC sides prior to sticking on the Velcro would probably help it adhere to the PVC better.

Store bought or home built.......what ever makes folks happy. I just couldn't see spending that much money on something so simple (and fairly insignificant) and costs nothing to make. :)

What I first used was I took a peice of normal garden hose that had a hole in it, and cut maybe a 3-4" peice and ductaped it to the spar. It actually worked really well, and cost us nothing.

I have published a page with some photos of a couple items that asisst me. The new Harken block and sail rack that doubles as winter tarp support that worked better than anything I have ever used before.

Sunfish photos

Back