Mainsheet cleats to adjust the vang or jens?

S

Siggs2000

Hey everyone,

I'm probably overthinking this but what do you think about this idea? Is it legal? Is it worth it?

Using a two halyard Jens rig, (24" with a system that uses the original main halyard to adjust how much the spar can flex off), I'm thinking of running the end of that flex adjuster halyard through the deck eye, back through the shackle of my mainsheet block and over to a mainsheet cleat, so it can be easily adjusted during a race...

When not using the Jens, you could use the same idea to have an adjustable vang.

Even smoother, what if you added one of the old style mainsheet hooks, to direct the line to a cleat instead of the mainsheet black shackle.

Any ideas? Think it's legal?

I posted "easy depower" with pictures earlier in the year on this forum.
I am still playing with the concept myself.
I understand that the class is evaluating/ talking about this type of system and its legality. Some are even considering making the Jens system illegal, saying it gives the lighter sailor an advantage in heavy air while there is nothing to give the heavy sailor an advantage in light air.
My opinion is the Jens should stay as it helps promote getting people to participate in conditions they otherwise may not be able to handle.

There are a few issues with your description as I interpret the rules.

1). 3.1.2 One mainsheet cleat may be mounted on each side of the boat for the sole purpose of restraining the mainsheet. (Sole purpose!!!)
2). Semantics’(sp), You describe a two halyard system. I know what you mean, but one Jens line and one halyard are allowed.

I have seen an article, I think it was in a windward leg about a 4 :1 friction (self locking) vang arrangement. I was told it was by Dick Tillman. That concept could work on the Jens line.

I somehow missed that "sole purpose" part of that rule when I read it.. That pretty much says it all right there.

No go.

I read your post a couple of weeks ago and it was extremely helpful. Thanks a lot for posting that.

Using that particular Jens system, it seems that the halyard becomes such an important control control to tweak. There must be some way to lead it back so it can be adjusted during a race or tune up session before a race. What about some kind of system of knots and a loop using the mainsheet "hook"? (I'd have to add the hook)

Might be overthinking it...

Back