Mainsheet block preferences?

capt_capsize

I'm slowly re-vamping a very old Laser and need some advice. I've decided on a Rooster mainsheet (to replace the !@#$$@ clothesline that's in there now) and need to rip out the old, chrome mainsheet block. APS and other stores offer the familiar Harken HO19 along with a Frederiksen model RF62100 and the Ronstan Smart Ratchet. I'm mostly doing lake sailing where conditions vary greatly (and quickly!). Suggetions?

Hi,

I used H009 for years, then we all switched to the smaller H019, which was lighter, and switched on/off easier, to the point where some tape it on!. I use a Harken 2.25 ratchamatic now, for light/variable lake sailing. This was recently discontinued but is avail. on the harken website and discounted to 38. I think, and on ebay etc, to be replaced by ratchamatic carbo airs, etc. They all work for an old laser, I think, don't bother with a new one, if you can find a used block. Some don't trust the ratchamatic, and I never tried a ronstan smart ratchet.

Read all you can about preventing the loss of the mast step, stopping leaks, teflon mast wear strips. That's much more important in an old boat (or any boat!).

Hike Harder!

Al Russell 66451

Since I put in the Frederickson and the Rooster mainsheet combo, I've never been happier!

Dennis Olson
Tomales Bay, CA

Back