Looking for VA,MD,DC contacts

tobackpack

Fairly new to this forum. My '74 sunfish is just about ready for a launch after installing a deck plate and repairing the traveler and damage to the hull. I have seen several listings for clubs in Del or farther north in NJ on the Class website, but I haven't located any area right around DC. Does anyone know of any groups that race closer to the DC area?

tobackpack said:
Fairly new to this forum. My '74 sunfish is just about ready for a launch after installing a deck plate and repairing the traveler and damage to the hull. I have seen several listings for clubs in Del or farther north in NJ on the Class website, but I haven't located any area right around DC. Does anyone know of any groups that race closer to the DC area?

A bunch of Sunfishers sail and race around the greater DC area. For instance, we recently had six boats on the line at the Corsica River Yacht Club Annual Regatta, July 29/30. To stay in touch and encourage participation at Sunfish events in the area, I write an occasional newsletter, and I will be more than happy to include you and any others with Sunfish on their minds.

The next 'local' regatta will be at the Washington Sailing Marina on Sep 9. It's the Leukemia Cup; in past years we have had about five Sunfishes on the water. This is a big multiclass event with fun activities afterwards. But the most important goal is to raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (not required for participation, but gently encouraged).

A bit further away (Dewey Beach, Delaware), the Rehoboth Bay Sailing Club will run the Commodore Cup Regatta on Sep 2.

Personally, I usually sail out of the Washington Sailing Marina, and I sometimes race my Sunfish with the Potomac River Sailing Association (PRSA). In fact, the PRSA organized a Sunfish/Byte challenge earlier this year in May. Low-key, reasonable winds and seven boats on the water, as I recall. Good times!

Back