Looking for Sunfish Rental in Bahamas (Paradise Island)

taobsu1

Will stay in Atlantis resort, Paradise Island for a week.

Do you guys know where to rent a Sunfish for day sailing? It seems there is no Sunfish at Atlantis. Is there place close by offer rental?

I searched on Google, it seems a Breazes Resort on Cable Beach has dinghy sailing for guest stayed. I wonder how can I go there from Paradise Island, and could I rent without staying there, or need to buy day-pass? .

Are you guys know where to rent? I thought there must have a lot Sunfishs lay around, since Sunfish World race was hold there a couple years back.

Hi, new to the forum but I live in Abaco and actually worked at that Breezes in watersports with the sunfish. I don't remember them offering any day passes, but I think that would be your best bet if you do. Of course you would have to get a cab over there.

The worlds boats were bought by private individuals (like me!) and the rest went back to Lazer Performance. I can't think of any commercial rental fleets.

You could try contacting the Yacht Club:

http://www.nassauyachtclub.org/

There may be someone who wouldn't mind renting you his/her boat.

good luck!
kairosmatt

Hi, new to the forum but I live in Abaco and actually worked at that Breezes in watersports with the sunfish. I don't remember them offering any day passes, but I think that would be your best bet if you do. Of course you would have to get a cab over there.

The worlds boats were bought by private individuals (like me!) and the rest went back to Lazer Performance. I can't think of any commercial rental fleets.

You could try contacting the Yacht Club:

http://www.nassauyachtclub.org/

There may be someone who wouldn't mind renting you his/her boat.

good luck!
kairosmatt

Thanks Kairosmatt!

Is Nassau Yacht Club is next to the bridge to Paradise Island? Its website doesn't give street number (only East Bay street). It seems a very active yacht club - they hosts annualMiami to Nassau Ocean Race. I will try to contact them.

By the way, how is dinghy racing in Bahamas in general. Any well-known Sunfish fleets and sailors there.

The Yacht club is about a mile down the road from the bridges. It is pretty active.

Its not an over active sunfish fleet, but there are 2-3 events throughout the year that I try to make. Between that, the practice races and the other fleets, I think there are at least a couple of regattas a month. The Bahamas Sailing Association posts a yearly calender on their site if you are interested.

In Abaco we have 5 weekends races and one major regatta between Jan and May, but its slow after that.

kairosmatt

The Yacht club is about a mile down the road from the bridges. It is pretty active.

Its not an over active sunfish fleet, but there are 2-3 events throughout the year that I try to make. Between that, the practice races and the other fleets, I think there are at least a couple of regattas a month. The Bahamas Sailing Association posts a yearly calender on their site if you are interested.

In Abaco we have 5 weekends races and one major regatta between Jan and May, but its slow after that.

kairosmatt

I just found out Sunfish National Championship is on November 27, 28 at Nassua Yacht Club, after checking Bahamas Sailing Association's calender. Do you know for typical year how many Sunfishes will be in the race?
It will be a quite a sight if there are more than 20 boats .

From the following picture of last year's Sunfish World, it seems race site is just next to Atlantis. Is that true?

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• sunfish_world_1.jpg
    sunfish_world_1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 33
The events are actually held in Montague Bay, to the east of the harbour. The last Sunfish regatta had 16 boats a couple of weeks ago, and we were missing a few key sailors, so its possible that there could be 20 plus boats!

You can pretty much see Atlantis from anywhere in Nassau! The view would be pretty distant from there though. I think the east end of PI is gated, so they might not let you through. The best place to see it would be from Montague park, near the fort. (its between the Yacht Club and Sailing Club). There is also a park on the other (east) side of the Sailing Club. Well, best would be in a boat out there!

kairosmatt

kairosmatt, do you happen to know someone within Nassau Yacht Club. An email I sent has been bounce back ([email protected] the only email listed on its website). I would like to visit the club house if possible.

The website for Bahamas Sunfish Association has been hacked with virus. I can not get in.

You mentioned Sailing Club is that different club (vs. NYC) ?

You can contact Brent Burrows via his website:

http://www.sailfast13.com/

Brent's favorite boat is a Laser, but he did participate in the Sunfish Worlds when they were held in the Bahamas. He is out on the water, near the Nassau yacht club, a lot and should be able to answer your questions related to sailing a Sunfish in the Bahamas, I imagine.

Back