Looking at buying a hull

well its cheap, but it also looks old, like mid 70's. It might be worth checking out if it isn't too far away. Read this before you go too: http://www.laserforum.org/know/index.php?title=Complete_guide_to_buying_a_Laser&oldid=1542

as far as how much you need to put in it for racing, this boat most likely is not going to be a racing boat, you need depending on the condition a 90's to current for solid racing hulls. The parts are expensive as with all sailing boats, but easily found.

It appears to come with absolutely nothing but a mast step repair. You won't be able to find any of the other gear on any kind of a budget.

Pass on this and look for a complete boat.

might aswell buy a decent laser ready to race! It will not only save you time, but it will make the chance of damaging the deck by drilling and what not less because you wouldnt need to with a ready to race laser :D

All good advice! You should be able to find something decent in your area before too long.

Kind of what I figured but just thought I'd check.

What are the desired years? Are there years that are better than others as far as construction goes...

Will a 1990's + boat be competitive?

Will a brand new basic boat be competitive? And if so, what are the first upgrades needed to the basic boat?

The hull will be the cheapest part of the purchase, it is the sum of the other parts that will make this old crappy boat about as expensive and a mid to late 90's boat

Avoid the 1989 to 1991 as they are made by Pearson Yachts as the proved to be poorly made Lasers and don't stand the test of time.

Seems the best made ones are 1997 onwards made by Vanguard

Kind of what I figured but just thought I'd check.

What are the desired years? Are there years that are better than others as far as construction goes...

Will a 1990's + boat be competitive?

Will a brand new basic boat be competitive? And if so, what are the first upgrades needed to the basic boat?

-The newer boats are usually slightly lighter and stiffer, seems to make a noticeable difference in light air

-a 1990's boat in good shape can be competitive, an abused 1990 laser could be a total pos

-A brand new boat will be very competitive, you will need to upgrade the rigging for racing in order to be competitive, if you're buying new do some negotiating and they might throw is some of the upgrades

Back