lookin to sell my laser, price?

sailor327

i know, i know, its a sad day but with college coming up and expenses to pay i feel having my laser would be unnecessary and with a buyer already in place i feel its the best move for me. Now what i'm wondering is what is a reasonable price for it.

Hull number 155552
year, 96 or 95, cant remember
a few minor gelcoat dings
water tight and pretty solid
Used but in good shape spars from about 2005
a practice laser radial sail, and a new slightly used radial sail
slightly used newer rudder (2006-2008?)
good centerboard
Upgraded control lines
two rooster mainsheets, one new
one spare boom
zhik hiking strap
clew strap and sleeve
relatively new lines, replaced with the sail
a dolly from around 05
storm hull and top covers from around 05, not the greatest condition but still usable
custom blade bag
acme Fatso tiller extension
Acme carbon fiber tiller
other miscellaneous blocks, lines, and parts

and thats about all i can think, if you guys could give me an idea for about what this goes for in todays market that would be awesome, thanks =)

I just bought a boat after months of looking for the right one. A boat around '96 would go from 2000 to 3000. With all your upgrades, extra sales, and dinghy, i would sell it for 3500 to 4000 but no more than 4500 because you could get a virtually new one for that price. Do you have the upgraded vang and cunningham system cuz that would effect it too?

Actually, after reading your list of stuff, you could prob get away with 4500 assuming that its a stiff dry boat. I think your setup is worth more but i think most people would rather just buy a new boat for that price. Perhaps you could sell some stuff seperately?

That's too high. Reading between the lines on "a few gelcoat dings" and "pretty solid" and "not the greatest but still usable" I'm thinkin' 2500; $3K tops for a 95.

It is pretty high, and i dont want to argue, but consider how much money was put into that boat. I guess the hull isn't in tip top shape but it also comes with more sails than an average boat for sale, carbon tiller, dolly and he replaced a whole bunch of stuff too. I would pay 3000 dollars for that boat in a heart beat if i didn't just buy one. Even if it needs a little work on the hull.

I would probably look at the stuff and if it was all in perfect condition I would consider going as high as 3500.

I bought my 2001 a few years back with most of the stuff mentioned for that price. BUT if everything is in tip top shape, shoot for the 4500.... gives you some room to barter at least.

$4,500.00 for a 14 year old boat? He does have everything you need, but you can get a new boat with a dolly for around $5,600.00 and all the new rigging and new sail. I'd sepnd the extra $1,200.00 or so and have a brand new hull that has a warranty.

A 14 year old boat SHOULD come with several sails, (at least 2) and the hull covers are "useable".

I'd list it for $3,250.00 and feel comfortable it would sell. At $4,500.00 it's gonna sit a while.

Listen to Rob B and bjmoose; this is an old boat which, simply because of its age, may have developed a hidden defect! I wouldn't pay more than 3 grand for it (which is probably close to the original list price).

The last New Laser I bought and actually pulled out of the box was in 1993 and I can't remember if the price was $3,600.00 or $4,300.00 USD. Both numbers are stuck in my head. My first new Laser was an '83 model and I think that one was around $ 2,000.00 on a fleet deal. Both were before they were offering a free dolly. This may have been pre-seitech dolly days?

Just remember, you don't get to recover full kit retail for your add ons. They depreciate along with the rest of the boat.

Out of interest if I have 1 of each sail would it be worth depending on the buyer selling 2 with the boat (eg. radial and 4.7 or radial and full) and the 3rd 1 seperatly. It seems unlikely that a buyer would have use for all 3 sails.

It's a 1995. I just sold a 1995 that's very close to your number, but newer, 155566. Actually, I sold two 1995s and a 1994 is about to sell. Here are the prices:

1555566 - $2,700 (hull used very little, in amazing shape, no upgrades, stock boat)
1995 - $2,600 (same as above but with a couple of additional dings so slight discount)
1994 - $2,700 (with brand new Harken upgrades, otherwise, stock. So consider this $2,100 for the boat).

With all of the gear you have on the boat, I'd be shooting for $3,200-3,500 if the hull is in good shape.

Back