Longest point a to b laser race or journey? / laser insurance coverage?

superdow

I've only heard of laser racing over a short course....are there any laser races from one point to another over a fairly long distance like the Chicago to Macinak yacht race. What is longest nonstop distance ever covered by a laser or the longest nonstop race? How about a tour de france style race, with stops along the way?

also, in reading some of the threads one person mentioned crashing into another boat during a race and cracking its hull - do racers carry insurance to cover such a situation, what is the protocol?

In UK clubs it's compulsory to have racing insurance before club racing. Most clubs have this in their rules.

Hi,

-> to the point of boat-(and personal)-insurance, here I 1st have to quote something, for example from the "Notice of race" (you will find this in the moment somewhere at laserinternational.org) of the actual runnig 2004-European-Laser-Championships (at Germany/Eastsea/Warnemuende):

"...18.*Liabilities*:...A competitor is wholly and exclusively responsible for third party liability insurance on the boat that he or she is sailing and for his or her personal accident and health insurance."

This means,
if you are a racer there, better get an insurance for the Laserboat (dammage to the own and third boats) and a personal-insurance (personal hurts and liabilities in reason of dammage of other persons you maybe have hurt).

It´s not a must do get insurances, but I think it is folish to sail recreational or race without that insurances on your own boat. If you are member of a sailing club, in our country you and your club-boat normally are insured by the club. But if you are not sure about that, better ask at the office of your sailing club.
This, you also better do, if you rent a laser (I did it every often for about 20 years, if I rented my lasers and big-boats in vacations), ok

I can´t imagine, the office of your national Laser Association wouldn´t be so kind, to give you some advices for this insurances (You need to consult someone lokal, because there maybe are big differences between all countries in the laws for that), wether you are a member of the ILCA or not. Just ask them :D
Some time ago, since I got my little dinghy 46438, I asked a local Laser-pro and he has given me a notice to offices, that offers insurances especial for dinghy-sailors (and have special agreements with the German Association of Sailing, to keep the cost for that insurances low). I never want to sail with out that stuff.

-> to the point of long distance-races in dinghies, I will have a look at our list of national Laser-races and let you know here, if there are some in our area. In the moment I can say, that I never heard about long distance dinghy-races in the past here.

For bigger boats, in France, in the summer they really have a "Tour de France *en Voile*(with boats)".
Sometimes every year, I see something in the Satellite-TV (hotbird) about it ("The Sailing Channel" from Itally - www_sailingchannel_it). The race starts at the border between France and Belgium, at the Channel to England, and runs around the coast of France f.e. to Biarritz, at the northern border of Spain to France. There, the boats leave the Atlantic shore-area and all the boats are carried through the country to the "Sea Mediterané", f.e. at the coast near at Perginan at the other side of the border between France and Spain. There they start again to race: from there to Nice at the border from France to Monaco where the race ends. But the race is definately not a dinghy-race, of course.

Cheers
LooserLu

I think you can add your boat on to your homeowners policy in most places, although when I tried to do just that State Farm wouldn't cover my boat because I keep it 'close to the water'. Duhh! Such is life in the hurricane zone...
Also check out the US Sailing website; I think they have a link to a company that sells insurance to racers of small one-designs. Someday I'll get around to doing this myself.

Longest Laser race I've heard of is one in the Columbia River Gorge in Washington State where they sail 20 or 30 miles down the river, if I remember right. Or perhaps that was just the expected windspeed...

hmm, the longest race i have heard of a laser doing is the Frankston To Rosebud Race, which aint runnin anymore. I am considering sailing from Rosebud to Safety Beach sometimes, good beat and run if given the right conditions.
Insurance is a must for any major regatta's, & is advisable for club racing so I have it

Haha.. Hey Rob, It just clicked... Your Dad sailed the Frankston to Rosebud didn't he? If you're sailing a Laser again come to Frankston, we're building a class.

hmm, hi jackson, im not comin to frankston, i got better places to sail, mornington has better waves, rosebud way nicer people who know me well, yes dad did the race in 2 & a 1/4 hrs in a laser, in an easterly with probably 20-30 knots, which means flat water all the way, only boat to beat him in the mono's was a NS14

LooserLu said:
-> to the point of long distance-races in dinghies, I will have a look at our list of national Laser-races and let you know here, if there are some in our area. In the moment I can say, that I never heard about long distance dinghy-races in the past here.

For bigger boats, in France, in the summer they really have a "Tour de France *en Voile*(with boats)".

Hi,
Here is the link to that race around France:

http://bmw-yachtsport.com/04-F58450...B/en/3_regatten/35_tfv/351_news/351_news.html

There is another "race" I give a hint to: It´s about a recreational tour in history open-sailboat-dinghies ( boat-lenght 5-6m/ 1-3 sailors) not Lasers but also not big-boats: It´s at the coast of Finland. Must be very nice there (without thinking to the mosquitos). At the following link, there is also a notice (in the link-list there) to another long"race" of that boats in Schotland:

www.raidfinland.com

Bye-bye
LooserLu

When you have other boats crash into each other you file a protest for damage. The other person should pay (if wrong).

i bet if you go to any nationals/worlds you will need insurance. & its a good idea any way, i have heard that some home insurance sometimes cover's boats, but im not so sure if this is true.

Re: laser insurance

yachtie2k4 said:
i bet if you go to any nationals/worlds you will need insurance....
I alerady quoted a peace of the racing instuctions of a big race (see here - reply #3). They say, the competitor has to decide himself, if she/he gets the insurances, but they advice to get them. If I see to the often big fleets of racers rounding the the marks all together in the same time, the likelihood of dammage is great - and for that they better have that insurances. This should not be the invitation to race without any care to all other racers around, but if something goes wrong that was or was not your fault if dammaging happens where you are involved, this insurances helps a lot.

What er173716 says, is not the way it goes here (in the country where I live). If you crash into something and the question is to clear about the repairings, the insurance for liability first pay all and then, later on, this insurance clears(evtl. with all the other involved insuraces /persons), who has to pay to them. This is the same way (here) if you have an accident with your car. Thats why I told (in reply#3) in other countries it could be different, so better ask a local consulter for insurances about all that.

Bye-bye
LooserLu

hey robbie stop bagging the shit out of frankston yacht club you hate it so much because you and your dad got kicked out due to unpaid memberships all the people there are tons nice and they dont like people who dont pay memberships for long periods. so robbie lay off frankston it is a graet club with great people and a awesome up and coming laser class :mad:

CFYCNC, has the round Oak Island Race, its brutal, 26.5 miles, half in the ocean and half in the ditch. It is open to laser and sunfish. Sept. 11th, 2004 0900, in Southport NC.

Hey Hodgo,
You know nothing, absolutely nothing about the reason why we left Frankston, & I'm just telling it the way it is, the friends I have at Rosebud are some of the nicest people around, the waves at Mornington shit all over the waves at Frankston, & who has to comb the beach most weekends for used syringes? Frankston. Mornington & Rosebud don’t have a problem with used syringes.
Ohh, & if you want the real reason as to why we left, it had nothing to do with membership cause unlike you, we pay membership, we left because of some safety aspects of the club, eg, lifejackets that were to old, mm, how long did it take rescue boat to reach sinking boat- over 10 minutes, when it wasn't even 5 minutes away.

Ludwig,
All the major regatta's over here require you to have insurance

I insured my boat with SGIC, comprehensive, $123.30. $100 excess for non-racing damage, 25% of cost of repair excess for racing damage.
Goolwa to Milang race is eligible for Lasers, 26nm, 14nm across Lake Alexandrina and 12nm up the river. Have not done it in a Laser as it clashes with state title weekend but have raced there and back (52nm) several times on a cat.

I guess the US is different. I have never seen insurance needed for any regatta (north americans or anything big). If boats are damaged it is the person responsible for the damage to pay. Thats why you protest people if damage occurs that way you have proof that they were at fault and must pay for it to get fixed.

Hi,
I found something new for this Thread that tis (maybe)interesting:
The “6-hours-race of the New Lake” (original: “25ste 6 Uren van de Nieuwe Meer”) in the near of Amsterdam, Netherlands.

This year, they do it the 25th time. It´s a sailing competition for the Laser (Standard, Radial, Masters) on the Lake “Nieuwe Meer” and it is the biggest sailing event of Amsterdam, they say.
This year it starts on Nov. 14th (last day to subscribe is Nov. 6th, cost: 15 Euro) 10:00 to 16:00. The special to this race is, that every Laser has a team (two helmsmen /-women). Every full round in the racing-course the helmsmen/-women change (it´s a bit like the famous long-distance Motorcar-race in “Le Mans” France).

Contact-information is to find at

http://www.wvdekoenen.nl/

The race is supported by the Laserclass-organisation Netherlands L.O.N -> http://www.laserklasse.nl/ -> Nieuws)
Ciao
LooserLu

er173716 said:
I guess the US is different. I have never seen insurance needed for any regatta (north americans or anything big). If boats are damaged it is the person responsible for the damage to pay. Thats why you protest people if damage occurs that way you have proof that they were at fault and must pay for it to get fixed.

US is different. I've done the J22 worlds, NA's, Santana 20 NA's, Laser NA's many other district level championships and have never even been asked about insurance. My insurance is my Capital One credit card. If I bang into someone then I'll pay for their fix job, (have not had to do this yet). Another great reason to stay in small one design boats everything is way less expensive. My boat is insured under my home owners coverage. Before I owned a home I could get boat coverage from AllState for around $125.00 year on my Laser and $250.00 on the J24.

just about any regattas above club level in AUS require insurance eg. nats, CHS, states, coasts & worlds but when i whent to CHS i saw the reason we need it a sports skiff got T boned by a windrush & took out a stay & the rig fell down

keiran searle AUS said:
just about any regattas above club level in AUS require insurance eg. nats, CHS, states, coasts & worlds but when i whent to CHS i saw the reason we need it a sports skiff got T boned by a windrush & took out a stay & the rig fell down

It's not a bad policy. I can see how it helps get boats fixed quicker and easier.

Back