Line question

Yes..

There are a few different "grades", but for Laser rigging there really is no benefit to using the higher grades

I have a line question..

I have a Maffioli mainsheet, its the only kind of mainsheet I have ever used. I am somewhat new to laser sailing.

When sailing in light wind I feel like the Maffioli is too heavy.. It always ends up dragging in the water downwind. Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I just too picky?

I have a line question..

I have a Maffioli mainsheet, its the only kind of mainsheet I have ever used. I am somewhat new to laser sailing.

When sailing in light wind I feel like the Maffioli is too heavy.. It always ends up dragging in the water downwind. Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I just too picky?

No, not too picky at all. Most people have a thinner mainsheet they use in light air.

Yes..

There are a few different "grades", but for Laser rigging there really is no benefit to using the higher grades

Thanks. That's what I thought. There are a lot of references to "spectra" in rigging articles, but nobody sells it as "spectra" any more.

Interesting..

I always get flack for having a "higher end" mainsheet after the races. To be honest, I hate the Maffioli.. I tell them they can have it! I'm sure its mostly in my head, if somethings not going right I always will try and find something to blame. I am very obsessive and superstitious when it comes to sailing. Well all sports I am in actually.

IIRC, "Spectra" is a registered trademark of AlliedSignal, much like "Kevlar" is for Dupont, hence everyone went by the generic terms of dyneema and aramid

Dyneema and Spectra are both trademarks. The only generic term I've heard for it is Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethelene (UHMWPE), although wikipedia lists some others.

For the record, it is rope or twine when it's on the spool and is referred to as line when it's some type of rigging, like an outhaul or cunningham. Reading Ben Ainslie's book, I was initially surprised to see his free use of the word "rope". It's all to easy to get caught up in the no-ropes-on-a-boat orthodoxy, but I guess being a multiple Olympic medalist liberates someone from trying too hard to use the right terms.

Interesting..

I always get flack for having a "higher end" mainsheet after the races. To be honest, I hate the Maffioli.. I tell them they can have it! I'm sure its mostly in my head, if somethings not going right I always will try and find something to blame. I am very obsessive and superstitious when it comes to sailing. Well all sports I am in actually.

Rooster mainsheet.

Light air, heavy air, I've never had any complaints.

Back