lightweight geezer on a Radial?

petiedons

Howdy Y'all. I'm a little guy, 120 lbs 5 foot 1 inch tall. The Radial is rated for 120 lbs to 155 lbs. OH I'm not young either... 'bout to turn 42, but I'm fit. I learned to sail on a Laser and owned one back in the day. I'm looking to get back into Laser racing. My question is this: at 120 lbs, I'm right on the bottom edge for a Radial. Is a Radial the best boat for me? Will I be at a serious disadvantage at my weight? Do I have to race kids in the 4.7 or is there a better boat for me? Thanks.

Hi,
I would say that you will be able to sail a radial in any conditions once you have gained enough experience, but the heavier sailors with the same technique will go faster up wind because they can exploit the wind pressure better with their extra wieght.
But then you have the advantage down wind, and in lighter winds.
I sailed a 4.7 in about 20mph and did really well, but when it dropped off a bit to about 15mph, it felt like I was towing a bucket. I am 5'5 and 135lb and 37 yrs old and have bought a radial. I would prefer to have too much power than not enough!
I know one guy your size that sails a standard in light winds and a 4.7 in heavy, but I prefer to stick to the one rig(in fact I beat the small guy in his standard rig over the water in my radial in really light winds, so it shows technique is more important than wieght).

Cheers
Nicko

Sail the Radial unless it's really blowing (18kts+) then sail the 4.7; my wife is your size and that works great for her. In Masters events you can switch rigs anytime, so you can at least decide before going out each day.

Mike S

Thanks for the advice, both of you. I didn't know it was kosher to switch rigs. Can I be competitive in club races in a Radial with my weight against bigger guys in full rigs?

Thanks for the advice, both of you. I didn't know it was kosher to switch rigs. Can I be competitive in club races in a Radial with my weight against bigger guys in full rigs?

Depends on the wind, how good you are and how bad they are! If they are of the same skill, then they will have an obvious advantage of more power, but if it is a handicap fleet the playing field will be more even.

I knew it was legal in masters sailing to swap from radial to ful or the other way, but the 4.7 can be used as well?

I knew it was legal in masters sailing to swap from radial to ful or the other way, but the 4.7 can be used as well?

I've wondered the same thing. What's a person who usually sails a Radial supposed to do? Of course, you could carry this on to the nth degree, allowing 4.7 Masters sailors to switch to Optis in a blow. :p

I still contend us, um, "larger" sailors should be allowed to swith UP to the 8.1 rig when it's light! Maybe that would not wourk so well.

I still contend us, um, "larger" sailors should be allowed to swith UP to the 8.1 rig when it's light! Maybe that would not wourk so well.

Sure, why not? If the lighter sailors can pick a smaller rig when they get overpowered, why not let heavier sailors pick a bigger rig when they get underpowered. My speed drops drastically in conditions where lightweight sailors are sitting on the rail and I am crouched in the cockpit...just as the lightweight sailors' speed drops drastically when they can no longer keep the boat flat in heavy air (just about the time I start straight leg hiking).

End weight discrimination in the Laser class today!!! Hope! Change! (I just threw those platitudes in...they seem to be the way to get people to like you these days.)

Of course, if we were allowed to switch to an 8.1 rig, then I'd be using it up to about 20 knots. Why, oh why, can't there be decent sized fleets of Finns?

End weight discrimination in the Laser class today!!! Hope! Change! (I just threw those platitudes in...they seem to be the way to get people to like you these days.)

Of course, if we were allowed to switch to an 8.1 rig, then I'd be using it up to about 20 knots. Why, oh why, can't there be decent sized fleets of Finns?
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, but the Finn shot itself in the foot with all of the forward thinking tweeking and became a $10,000.00 dingy. That's why we don't see decent fleets.

The push to keep the Laser simple is to keep it from going the way of the Finn, Moth and others.

I also agree with you. Keep the Laser simple. Keep costs down. Make it accessible to as many people as possible. I'd still rather race in regatta with fleets of 50 Lasers and be slow sometimes because I am too heavy than switch to racing in fleets of 5 Finns.

Thanks for all the advice y'all. It sounds like the Radial is the rig for me. And I agree, its better to sail a simple boat in a big fleet than in a wicked cool boat in a tiny fleet. I still lust after a Foiler Moth, though.

Back