light wind tips

ewen shackel

hi all
I find that I am quiet fast in medium and high winds. and even the top end of low wind. but when it goes almost dead I stop fast while the rest of the fleet steam ahead. witch as a result leads to me playing catch up as the wind builds again whereas I would lake to be increasing my lead.
any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks
Ewen

sail more in light wind.

Drag a small float on a string as an indicator. (during practice) It helps you see if your adjustments actually did any good. If the float passes you... you're going backward.

A good wind telltale helps also. Some like about 5 ft of VHS tape or a long piece of yarn (if you can keep it dry because neither works well when wet)

The issue is simply finding the correct sail angle for max power.

When all else fails.. copy the sail angle being used by the fastest other guy.

Move your weight forward. Sitting on top of the centreboard isn't comfortable, but it gets your transom out of the water.

Upwind and reaching, heel the boat slightly to leeward, so that gravity keeps your sail full if the wind doesn't. When running, let the boom out beyond 90 degrees and then heel to windward for the same reason.

Upwind sheet the boom farther out than the traveller allows; keep the vang tight to shape the sail and the sheet slack. Speed beats height in very light winds.

Practise your tacks, gybes and roundings so that you don't get "stuck" in the water after these. Acceleration is poor in light air.

Have someone watch you sailing in these conditions to see what you're doing wrong.

Back