leaving dock: solo

c14_Jim

Sailing on Shelter Bay
I was reading Kylehousley's list for preping the boat for sailing and as i mentally went through the procedure I remembered something I struggle with each time. I put the sails up, adjust and inspect everything one last time. the boat is as near into the wind as possible and the sheets are relaxed. i am not. I have a single painter on the bow and have looped it back to my position in the boat. It is tenuous because the boat really isn't as secure as I would like it in those last few seconds as I get in. Also, if I release the painter and sail away i am relying on the line running free around the dock cleat and not hanging up. If it ever does i will come to sudden stop. Is there a better way to get into the boat and release it? I have also simply held the boat by hand and then sat on the dock, slipped into the boat and sailed away/ ...again, some moments of the boat not being secured and me still not in the boat.
Hope I made myself clear. I did an illustration to help explain. Jim M

Hi Jim,

If the boat is heading pretty much into the wind, you should be able to hold it easily with both hands on the gunwhale while you are still on the dock (hold the painter in one hand too, but I wouldn't have it near a cleat!). As you said, keep the sheets loose, but in position for you to grab easily once in.

To launch, I simply rotate my boat to a tack position, give it a push as I step into the boat. I have a tiller tamer set on medium tightness, so the tiller is loosely locked amidships. As soon as I'm in, I'll sheet the main in and I usually set the jib only after 10 or 15 seconds. We have some strange swirls around our dock so I want to be sure I'm clear of any wood before turning on the jib!

You are right in having that strange feeling as you push the boat away and you are not still in it. But, I can assure you that is exactly the method we used at UCLA marina for my courses there. In fact, we usually just rotated the boat to a 90 degree angle to the dock (wind almost on the beam) ending up holding the stern, then just casually step over the transom into the drivers seat. We were taught never to put too much effort into the rotating and pushing off -- let the wind do the work for you.

-- Ed

Back