leaking hatch covers

bplaxton

I did a mast step repair and deck/hull separation repairs over the winter. I was surprised to see that my old boat is still taking on a little water. The mast step holds a column of water no problem (at least with no stress on the hull). I did a leak test and saw that the hatch covers leak a little bit. Couldn't see any other leaks, the deck/hull looks good all the way around the gunnel. I've been sailing with a bag in one of the hatches and I've read here that prevents the hatch covers from sealing effectively. I guess I should stop using the bag though its a nice way to carry a water bottle. The covers were leaking without a bag in place, I didn't try it with the bag. Do people vaseline the threads of the hatch covers, or have other suggestions? I could goop them but its nice to be able to open them regularly. When looking for leaks around the daggerboard trunk, what's the most effective way to do that? Where do you look exactly, and is boat upright or upside down at the time? Also, what's a good approach to getting a perfect seal around the cockpit drain stopper? thanks

BP 61912

hey i dont use a bag in my inspection port but i do put vaseline on it because they used to leak. when i checked my centerboard i did it once upside down and once right side up. It seems to join about a half in inside the trunk with the rest of the hull. so i put the soapy water on that joint and checked it.

:confused: I'm really flumoxed as to where water is entering. But I guess under sailing conditions leaks can occur that aren't at all apparent in my garage. I'd still like to know how most people have there auto-bailer fastener hull fitting sealed, whether just with silicone or?? Because it must be coming from somewhere below the waterline.

Did you replace your bailer fitting?. Cause i know Mark Bugiak replaced his and that was where alomst al of his water was coming in the new fitting can be picked up at glemnore boats. Hope this helps..

When you installed the inspection ports did you use any kind of sealant on the screws or the rim where the cover fits into? You may want to check any deck fittings as well. I found a really bad crack and the source of a huge leak under the mounting hardware for the mainsheet block and the forward end of the hiking strap, that area is subject to alot of abuse in older, often sailed boats.

I replaced the cockpit drain with the bronze fitting and as near as I can tell (ie by bubble testing in my garage looking carefully at both the cockpit side and the hull side with bailer removed) there is no leak around the fitting. I did get alot of bubbles coming up the bailer fastener fitting in the hull, so I re-siliconed that. When I did my paint job this winter I removed all the fittings and siliconed them good when I replaced them. I don't see leaks at any of the fasteners with the bubble testing. That water comes in even when I'm out in drifter conditions leads me to believe that it must be coming in from below the water line.

best advice.... DONT PUT IN INSPECTION PORTS!!! they might be nice for the little bag but in the end they always leak.

sailordude said:
best advice.... DONT PUT IN INSPECTION PORTS!!! they might be nice for the little bag but in the end they always leak.

yes... but if I hadn't cut my deck when I did there wouldn't be much deck left! All the resin was gone around the mast tube.

Salty Bob said:
Did you replace your bailer fitting?. Cause i know Mark Bugiak replaced his and that was where alomst al of his water was coming in the new fitting can be picked up at glemnore boats. Hope this helps..

Brady which fitting do you mean exactly? The bronze cockpit drain or....?

ya the bronze one. The old lasers just had a sort of snap together style But the new one is threaded and you can get a better seal.

Salty Bob said:
ya the bronze one. The old lasers just had a sort of snap together style But the new one is threaded and you can get a better seal.

yes I have that one installed and it doesn't appear to leak at all around it (from the cockpit or bailer side). The drain plug however does leak a fair amount into the cockpit typically I will replace it for starters. Do new boats come with the autobailer installed? (I would guess yes). Does anyone know if they come with the thru-hull fastener fitting (ie the fitting pressed into the hull which the bailer screw screws into to hold it to the hull) sika-flexed in place, or other?

thought I would wrap this up in case anyone was curious. I replaced the transom plug housing (original white RWO replaced with Ronstan that incorporates an O-ring), and re-fitted the brass cockpit drain fitting. When I pulled the brass fitting off I noticed alot of deck/hull seperation behind the fitting hole, and filled it with epoxy as best I could. Had the boat out yesterday for the 1st time in decent winds and voila, no more leaks and even a satisfying woooosh when I unscrewed the transom plug. Happy to have this trouble behind me at least for now :p

Back