Leaking Boat

ChrisL

The Last two times i have taken my boat out it has severly filld up with water and I have barley beenable to pull the boat up. I was wondering if there is anyways that i can find out where the water is leaking from?

Thanks Chris

First try filling the mast step up with water, see if it subsides any. Go ahead and check
your drain plug then try a vacum cleaner in reverse and use soapy h2o for leaks.
There are plenty of threads on this and I am sure there are fellow laser sailers out
there who have had this situation. good luck

You'll need to do a soapy water leak test - Read this for the how-to http://www.laserforum.org/showpost.php?p=9744&postcount=4

While sailing, if water isn't coming over the deck, the most likely trouble spots are the:
1. The bronze/plastic thru hull fitting that acts as the cockpit drain.
2. If there is an autobailer, not enough sealant around the screw hole
3. The drain plug fitting in the stern (newer screw in ones should have a rubber washer on the plug, if it's missing, it'll leak)
4. Upper lip of the daggerboard case
5. Crack in the filler of the hull/deck joint (the rails)

Another place to look is the lower trailing edge of the daggerboard case. A guy at my local club has managed to hole his boat there, never seen another like it. I reckon he must have ran aground hard at some point.

Ever try a bicycle pump and silly putty to pressurize the hull?

I put some duct tape over the bailer and floated the boat to see if I could eliminate that area, the dagger board slot is next. Then I will pressurize the hull.

I have a slow leak in my hull and I am thinking that the bicycle pump might work .

Re: Leaking Boat Fix

First off do as the guys above said, check your mast step by filling it with water, visually inspect the boat for any visible punctures, cracks or splits especially on the seam.

If that doesn't find it, you'll need a compressor and an extra hand

this is what you do:

1. Fill the boat with air
2. Wipe with very soapy water and look for bubbles, mark any leaks or note where they are
3. Seal the leak(s)

There is a relief hole near the daggerboard thats supposed to be there, thats not a leak

Here are the most common places I've found leaks on Lasers:
1. The seam (even new lasers have problems here)
2. The autobailer and thru deck fitting (usually due to old silicon)
3. The traveler fairleads
4. The mast step
5. The bow eye
6. The daggerboard brake
7. The daggerboard slot
8. The cockpit (usually small holes or cracks can cause leaks)
often overlooked are the deck fittings, also the easiest fix.

Back