Laser xd

sailingmania

Dear all,

i am going to buy the laser g-xd harken gear.
The problem is, i can only afford one part at the moment either the xd deckpack for £185 or the harken vang / kicker for £175. I canafford either but not both a am also buying a clew sleve as it think the srtap is not very good.

Please could you suggest whick is better. I am slightly biased towards the deckpack, as i have the old style kikcer if i wanted to do a big event. But at the moment i have 2 tripple block for my kicker which works very well but is not class legal but fine for club racing.

All suggestions welcome tell me what you think of the harken gear, and if it is really worth the extra money?

Are you sure you were using the clew strap correctly?
Watch the video in this link for correct installation.
http://propercourse.blogspot.com/2008/10/intensity-sails-laser-clew-strap.html

When I first started using one I was installing it incorrectly, and not very happy with it, but once I had it figured out it has been perfect and 100% reliable.

Class rules also allow you to shackle a small block to the clew of the sail, and with the strap and block there is very little friction, making clew adjustment very easy.
The shackle also gives you a clew 'quick release'.

So my advice, don't waste your money on the clew sleeve, and buy both parts of the upgrade kit together.

Hi can't afford both xd upgrades just 1 but do have enought left over for some extras like a clew sleve and ratchet new blocks for mainsheet.

The problem is if i buy the harken outhaul and cunninghan kit i already have the xd outhaul which i have fitted myself and having another that i am not going to use is a bit of a bugger and my cunninghan / downhaul is ok althought its not the full xd purchase there for all i need is the harken deck cleats and the two pulleys at the mast pot and two double blocks for cunningham.

Hi,
take the Harken xd kicker (rigged: 1:12) and use the cunningham/outhaul you already have. Several around here where I live do not use the xd fittings at the deck in reason of the costs.

You are able to rig the selfmade xd cunningham (1:6 or 1:8) you already have, via the original deck fairlead (take on with a metal ring inside if you have, http://www.lasersailing.com/shop/uks/product/173 ) to the clamcleat (view attachment 1). Take an aluminium clamcleat ( http://www.clamcleat.com/cleats/cleats.asp?theid=2 ) for the deck and the boom. For the outhaul use your 1:6 outhaul-system around the mast (view attachment 2 points: C, D, E. For points A, B, you take a suitable long halyard-shackle with a harken 404 block fist to the shackle). Take the clew strap of Rooster sailing, its quality is it worth to have it.

Hope that helps

Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• 1 Cunningham-system without xd fittings.gif
    1 Cunningham-system without xd fittings.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 2 outhaul old system.gif
    2 outhaul old system.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 48
In attachment here, is in addition a pdf with a photo of the front of the outhaul system I just mentioned in the reply before.

Attachments

• 2 Outhaul system not XD photos.pdf
    113.9 KB · Views: 78

Back