Laser XD controls

Elessar

Hi

I know that the maximum purchase for the XD kicker is 15:1 (which I have). However I have an XD downhaul with purchase of 6:1 and an XD outhaul with purchase of 4:1. I want to know if I have got the maximum allowed purchase for my outhaul and downhaul because I have seen more powerful versions, (downhaul 8:1) and (outhaul 6:1)

The problem with more purchase is that you get a lot more rope kicking around in the cockpit. I dallied with a extra purchase in my downhaul to make it 8:1 and I really did not get on with it so I have gone back to the older version (the non-cascade).

You have to pull harden but generally if you need it on hard you are hiking and you can really lean in to it to get enough on.

Well my 6:1 downhaul works perfectly fine and I can always pull an adequate amount on when it gets windy. However my outhaul is only 4:1 and once I have rounded the leeward mark with it a bit slack I can't pull it on for two reasons. 1. When I'm fully hiked the angle of the cleat isn't correct and makes it very difficult to pull. 2. I don't think the 4:1 purchase is quite enough when its windy.

There are lots of other systems out there that you can use, some involve an extra block (with a becket) attached to the cam cleat on the boom and some involve an extra block (with a beckett) attached to the gooseneck mounting. Alan D I think had some good pictures of his floating around a while ago, there may even be a link in the FAQ for control lines that will give you some ideas)

Perhaps a simpler way would be to pull your outhaul on prior to rounding up? This is what I tend to do (not that I play my outhaul much as I sail on a restricted water).

Cheers,

Pail

Normally I do but if its windy we usually have quite small courses because of our fairly small lake. And so I don't have time to pull it on. Also we have a good laser fleet and at the leeward mark there are usually about 4 or 5 boats asking for water from each other. My outhaul has the rope which you pull from going through the deck block, through the gooseneck block and then through a single block and ties off onto the clamcleat which gives a 2:1 and its then doubled as there's a block attached to the hook which goes onto the sail.

Back