Laser Worlds Masters - Congrats & Question

Anyone else notice that Mr Seidenberg took the GGM with 7 bullets out of 8 scored races !!!

Let me see, its almost 20 years for me to get to GGM -- damn he'll have been sailing lasers for more than 50 years by then. I have no prayer!!!

Anyway Peter - I met you to say hello at the Midweek madness a couple years ago when Ryan gave the clinic and I just want to add my "bravo".

So on to my question - I was looking at the picture below and noticed how much the outhaul was eased. What point of sail and conditions were going on where you would ease it that much?

Attachments

• 2008-02-15_Doug Peckover (USA) in the Standard Grand Master.jpg
    2008-02-15_Doug Peckover (USA) in the Standard Grand Master.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 107
It looks like he is bearing away to go downwind. Looking at the angles of the guys behind him that may be the offset mark. Even for DDW that is way deeper than I let my outhaul out, but he's fast! It will be interesting to see if he posts on this. Good question.

You do realize that's not Peter S in the picture - Not that Doug isn't a good sailor to, but....

I suspect that's a top mark rounding and Doug is just starting his bear-away (doubt they used offsets at Worlds, and it's too tight for a top reach). He's already eased his c'ham and outhaul for the next leg, probably a run. No obvious whitecaps, but the boats look powered up, so that's not a bad outhaul setting. Check out the Bass Strait DVD to see more evidence of big outhaul bag.

Brian

You do realize that's not Peter S in the picture - Not that Doug isn't a good sailor to, but....

Nah - that's got to be Mr. Seidenberg!! I met him a couple years ago and he looks really really young for his age :) :)

... thanks for the insights on the sail settings

The photo is Peckover. He has been using that sail number in international competition since he bought a bunch of Lasers at the 1992 New Zealand Worlds and brought them back to the US.
Last I knew, Fishingmickey had that hull.

The biq question you should be asking is "Why is the defending world Grand Master champion so far past the mark, holding his tiller extension against his chin, and unsuccessfully trying to bear away while his boat is heeled so far to leeward?"

If Doug sails like that next month he sure won't be winning another Easter Laser Regatta

Doug and other trophy winners in 2006

Eastertrophies2006.jpg

A strong boat eating current dictated that a wide berth be given to all weather marks.. Also at these Terrigal Worlds, the downwinds were typically not won by turning directly down the rumline.. I remember more then one race huge gains were made by going very high to the right side of the course. This to avoid looking like a salmon in heat desperately trying to get up current to the left leeward gate. I'm talking board down and closehauled! Huge gains could be made going to the right gate if you went high enough early in the leg.

Back