Laser vs. Sunfish, advice needed

unionsail

I have been offered for sale a Laser Standard. I am not familiar with this boat, but have sailed Sunfish and Hobie Holders. This would be for teaching sailing to youngsters between 10 and 16. Can anyone tell me how a Laser Standard compares to a Sunfish in terms of ease of sailing, stability, etc.? I know there will be obvious differences in rigging, etc. but I am more interested in how it compares in terms of handling, ease of sailing for youngsters, etc.
Thanks very much !

Laser is a much less stable boat. Very tippy and prone to capsize, and kids at the bottom end of your age range just aren't large enough to sail a Laser. Maybe they could if they paired up, but it is still too squirrelly for absolute beginners. A Sunfish would be a much better choice.

If the Laser is a full-rig one, I would agree with torrid. If it's a Radial, perhaps it should be given some consideration. No doubt though that a Sunfish is more stable and more forgiving for beginners. The prevailing winds (light, medium or strong) in your area should also be considered, as well as safety issues (beginners will capsize a lot in a Laser and may need help).

The laser is faster, more physical and more fun!

the full rig wouldn't be right for them to start racing, but its great for them to learn on

I taught junior sailing for 2 summers on lasers, mostly kids (8-14) that had never sailed before and they had a great time!

We did 2 kids per laser most of the time, at the end of the course they could all handle the boat by themselves in light - moderate breeze

I also started on a laser when I was around that age,

Back