Laser Timex?

Gfinch

Hi!

I have a Laser Timex, in very good condition. I am led to belive that these boats were made for the Laser World Championships in 1988. The sail number is 136069, so it ties up with the age.

Can anyone give me any more information about them? This is all I know.

Regards,
G.Finch.

The 1988 Laser Worlds were indeed sponsored by Timex watches. They were held at Falmouth, Cornwall in England. It was generally a fairly windy regatta that was won by Glenn Bourke from Australia, which was the first of his 3 in a row. He followed up his win in 1988 with wins in 1989 in Denmark and 1990 in USA. He didn't defend his title in 1991 as he was campaigning a Finn for the 1992 Olympics.

As well as the standard worlds in 1988, the regatta also incorporated a Women's Worlds, which was held in Radials (I think for the first time) and a youth championship. It was also followed by the usual Masters Worlds.

Here are a 'photo by Roger Lean-Verco and a couple of advertisments, that were all originally published in Yachts and Yachting magazine that you may find interesting. Also a copy of the report in Laser Letter, the magazine of the UK Laser Association at the time.

There is also a video on Youtube, in three parts. Here is a link to the first part:

www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&feature=related&v=LW39rNqAjl8

Attachments

• laser Letter 3 -1988.jpg
    laser Letter 3 -1988.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Timex Watches Advert.jpg
    Timex Watches Advert.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Timex Laser Advert.jpg
    Timex Laser Advert.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 81
  • 1988 Laser Worlds Y&Y  Dec 8th 1989.JPG
    1988 Laser Worlds Y&Y Dec 8th 1989.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 89
Thanks a lot guys!

On that last picture, my laser is there! (136069)

The only thing I can't understand is the condition my boat is in, it is nearly perfect!

Ask about its history from the person you bought it from.

I'm guessing it was put in dry storage after the regatta and forgotten about. That or it's only been sailed on Sundays by a little old lady with her own boatswain.

Thanks Horizon; that's so neat. Now where can I find one of those 'special' watches?

:):):)

Back