laser stored outside filled with a ton of water

waldenpond

I live in Connecticut, USA and was looking at a laser this weekend to purchase. It was stored outside under a wooden deck, right side up (probably not the best way). The hull is filled with a close to a thousand ponds of water, there are huge blocks of ice inside. How did all this water get inside the boat. I couldn't see any cracks. My concern is there there are some cracks that allowed water to enter the hull. Any response or comments appreciated.

TIA,

Andrew

First, keep looking. The damage that the freeze-thaw cycle of water and ice probably
caused to the interior will be hard to fix.

if it was stored deck-up, the water could have seeped in through the mast step or the
cockpit. That much water in a hull for a winter season is just not good. Other boats will come up that are better options.

always do a water check on a potential mast step. partially fill with water, if it empties into the hull, there is a leak. There are guides on this site to use when looking to purchase a used boat. check the 'Search' function.

waldenpond:

DO NOT BUY THAT BOAT

The spars and blades might be worth the purchase price, assuming it's way low. You will prolly pay to dispose of the hull, though. Might get them to give it to you after you tell em how much it's gonna cost to dispose of it.

Don't plan on sailing it, the hull has been stressed to toast, IMO.

My own reaction would be to avoid the boat, not only because of the issue as to how the water is getting in but also because whoever currently owns the boat is maybe not giving it as much care as it deserves (e.g. checking all is well periodically).

However, one thought is, are there any inspection hatches in the deck/cockpit ? Whilst I trust these should you capsize and they are immersed for a short time, when it comes to then sitting under water for a longer period I'm sure the will let a lot of water through into the hull. Even though this might be a possible cause, my own reaction would be avoid the boat and search around a bit more (though do not take this as advice as I can only consider it from your account and in my own terms and circumstances, budgets, timescales,etc.).

Ian

Take a look at the buying guide on here, It sounds like there is a major leak probably in the mast step and possibly leaks where the hardware is,

if the boat was really filled with water and then the water froze, it more than likely did a job on the hull. Its just like putting a canned beverage in the freezer, the can will bulge out until it can't go anymore. The boat could have major damage, I wouldn't buy it without really checking it out.

if you can get it for a really good deal or possibly for free and just want it for fun it will probably be ok. My first laser someone was going to take to the dump! It didn't compare to a new laser but, 12 yrs later its still sailable, a boat like this will never be competitive in racing but it will still be fun to sail.

I can virtually guarantee you the water got into the boat through the breather hole under the hiking strap.

If it was stored right way up on a trolley and the bow was slightly lowered, water in the cockpit can reach a high enough level even with the venturi open and draining to enable water to slowly trickle into the hull and fill it to the level of the breather hole.

I have seen this happen on many boats that are stored outside on dollies or trailers where the bow is tilted down a bit. i.e a laser on trailer where the hitch point is resting on the road. the boat only needs a bow down angle of maybe 15 degrees or so to fill this way.

I imagine the ice would only damage the boat if the entire mass of water in the hull froze and expanded. Chunks of ice would not do much harm and if they did do damage some of it should be evident from an exterior inspection.

You never know, it may be a bargain if it is that neglected.

I should also add that if the bailer/venturi is blocked or closed the boat does not even need to be bow down to fill slowly with rain water through the breather hole.

Back