laser storage/hull distortion

dpiper

Hi Folks,

I'm going to go look at a used Laser that has been stored for 15 years leaning against a wall and resting on its transom. Will the hull be distorted from this? I've read up on what to look for in a used Laser, but I'm not sure how to check for hull distortion.

Thanks in advance for the help.

If was resting on the transom rail (the joint between the deck and the hull) it will be fine - this is exactly how Vanguard stores the new boats.

If it was resting on the transom/hull bottom intersection, it should also be ok, just check that the straightness of the intersection.

If it was resting on the gudgeons, again, it may have some indents - put a straightedge just above the lower gudgeon and make sure the transom is flat and touching the straight edge at the gudgeon area

At my sailing club we are kind of short on space for winter storage. So all the Lasers are stored on their sides where ever theres room. I know this is bad for my boat but I don't have much space available in my house either. I was wondering if there is an easy way to buy/make a sling that will protect my boat over the winter?

49208 said:
If was resting on the transom rail (the joint between the deck and the hull) it will be fine - this is exactly how Vanguard stores the new boats.
Don't they store them like that mainly because of storage space.

Storing on the transome or side seems fine to me. Upright and hanging from the gunwales is best

Upside down is not so good.

No need to address improper support under the hull bending the hull. dented in hulls are obviously screwed up and simple noyice whether you ahve ever sailed before or not.

basic truth: Convex surfaces are harder to bend than flat surfaces.

When it comes from the mold, there is not a truly flat surface anywhere on a Laser.

If you do something to ruin the 100% conves shape, you will lose stiffness and performance.

The reason hanging from the gunwales works better than anything else is, the hull when unsupported and hanging sorta sags naturally toward a 100% convex sheet of plastic.

Huls stored with any of the hull upside down naturally sag inward and become less stiff as they sag.

A hull stored on its side will not sag as fast as a hull stored upside down and it will only sag in te wrong direction on the upper side.

Likewise a hull stored on its transome will not sag in from the trunk aft although the bow may eventually b3ecome narower...perhaps that would be faster anyway...I have no idea.

I have no concern what so ever whether the transome is pushed in slightly and is not perfectly flat. I don't believe a slightly concave transome has any impact on performance....unless puching the weight more toward the middle of the boat changes the performance...yeah right..this post is getting stupid

sailor327 said:
well it might effect the rudder position.

I was busting my own chops about how stupid my post was becoming...weight moved foreword by bending the transom>> What a total reach that was. it was time to shut up.

Regardless, sitting the boat on the rear very strong gunwale should prevent bending of the transom.

Back