Laser SN PSBD8965K990

bobfIC

Have acquired this boat. It's in mint condition, stiff, unscratched, and spars perfect. Looking up SN indicates that it was built by Pearson, sail no. 138965. . . BUT SN indicates 1999 manufacture and an associated receipt says it was purchased in Dec. 1989. What does sail number indicate?

There is the hull number, and the sail number.

The sail number MUST correspond to the hull number, for official Laser racing.

If the number on the sail you purchased does not correspond to the number on the hull you purchased, it can only mean that:
1) you were given a sail that belonged to a different hull, or
2) the hull number was tampered with, or
3) the hull number was not read correctly.

In your case, the hull number "PSBD8965K990" implies:
- The boat was manufactured by
PSB = Pearson Small Boats (1989-1991) (RI);
- The sail number (""D8965") should be
"138965" on the sail.

Now... the remaining digits ("K990"... supposedly) would indicate:
- The hull was built in (K99=) June 1999;
- for the model year 2000.

However, IMHO, these four digits are actually "K890", and not "K990". Either you read it wrong, or it was stamped wrong, or the stamp on the ransom was tampered with. But there is no question that "D8965" (or sail number 138965) is a hull manufactured by Pearson Small Boats in 1989 (Not in 1999).

Shevy Gunter

For details, see the drLaser FAQ item "How do I determine my sail number and boat year?".

Thanks. I think you are correct about the probable "K890" . . . will check it out. Meantime the boat will probably be up for sale, as we don't have other Lasers on the lake here (Seven Lakes, NC). Will also check out the sail number for correspondence. I take it (from your sail number) that well-maintained Lasers can have a long life. BobF

Similar deal..... my son is racing laserx a lot these days and I'm looking to get him a boat. It is a Pearson (hmmmm) PSBE5174F192 hull number. From what I've been reading around the Dr. Laser site, all this doesn't add up, though the owner says it's a 92, likely because the number ends in 92. The earliest sticker on the hull is 92, so that may be some help (registration sticker).
Anyone have any info they could share about these boats, or the serial number? I hear lots of bad things about Pearson, but the boat is fast. The last thing I want to get my boy, is a bucket of woe, that will be a continual headache. Thanks

The serial numbers on the transome of a Laser can be somewhat deciving. The last two digits in the serial number ARE NOT necessarily the year the boat was manufactured. In some Lasers, it's the third and second digits from the right that are in fact the year it was built. Bob, in your case, the last two digits ARE most likely the year it was built. As I said, they are deciving and are not always the same on all Lasers. Bob's boat was most likely a 1990 Laser bought in 1989 because with boats and cars and many other things, the next new model year starts in August. So Bob's boat was probobly purchased between August and the end of December in 1989. I wouldn't even take a sail number into consideration because as others pointed out, the sail could have come from a different boat or could simply be wrong. I happen to have gotten an older Laser with a sail that the previous owner had simply put the last six digits on. What I'm getting to is just leave that out of the picture.

But I can tell you right now, reggardless of anything else, that your boat is a 1990 Pearson for one simple reason. PEARSON DIDN'T HAVE THE NORTH AMERICAN RIGHTS TO BUILD THE LASER IN 1999!!!!! Pearson only built Lasers from 1989 to 1991. Vanguard purchased the North American rights as builder of the Laser in 1997 and since then has been the ONLY North American builder of the Laser.

Are you talking about UK Pearsons, or is there a US Pearson? I went to school (UK) with brothers Jack & Michael. We did own a boat built by them, it was either a Pieces or Bonito (can't remember), it was a single hander, large cockpit, blue deck (I think) red sail, rigged as per a Laser. Can anyone remember that class???

Interestingly, I just checked the transom stamp on my laser and it reads; PSDB 9085K990. !!!! Did I somehow end up with the boat that started this thread? It has the identical mystery ID #?. Too coincidental. B.Kahuna Vah Beach Va

Have acquired this boat. It's in mint condition, stiff, unscratched, and spars perfect. Looking up SN indicates that it was built by Pearson, sail no. 138965. . . BUT SN indicates 1999 manufacture and an associated receipt says it was purchased in Dec. 1989. What does sail number indicate?

Can anyone help me also on my sail numbers, Hull # is PFS099330973. Would sail number 249933 be correct. Thanks for the help.

Kevin

Back