Laser Sails

Well for starters price. US sails are significantly cheaper.

Never had any US ones to compare but they should be the same shape, etc.

Ian

U.S. sails are cheaper in the U.S. because they are imported to the U.S. while European sails are imported to Europe, and vice versa. Thus a Hyde costs more to ship it to the U.S., while a North costs more in Europe to ship it there. According to our wonderful class association, all sails are created equal.

U.S. sails are cheaper in the U.S. because they are imported to the U.S. while European sails are imported to Europe, and vice versa. Thus a Hyde costs more to ship it to the U.S., while a North costs more in Europe to ship it there. According to our wonderful class association, all sails are created equal.
If only it were thus. I know nothing of the North sail and I don't believe it is officially sold in Europe. I think there is only one factory now making Hyde sails and it is certainly not in Europe so the significant difference in price between the U.S. and U.K. does not appear to be justified by shipping costs. As the UK has no real distribution network it's distribution costs should be less. I can only see the price difference as caused by "because we can". Of course the U.S. Market does have a limited amount of competition as you have two overpriced sails to choose from. See the many other threads on this issue including an excellent rant by Gouvernail (my new hero) in Laser Politics.

north sails are also not made in the US they are made in Sir lanka so they still have to be shipped to the US also so the shipping is not the issue with cost since they are both manufacture out side of the country. if hydes are more expensive it is not because of shipping because it also does not cost 100 dollars per sail to ship sails in bulk.
that brings up another issue, if hydes are just more expensive the north sails and its not because of them being imported are they higher quality? if they are that is against the concept of a one design class.

Its been covered before, search the old threads.. IIRC, it's the contracts that each builder (Vanguard and PSE) had with North and Hyde respectively So if Vanguard wanted to sell Hydes, they had to buy from PSE and vice-versa. Now that's it's all one big happy family ? The sails are similar priced from the sailmakers to the builder..

Its been covered before, search the old threads.. IIRC, it's the contracts that each builder (Vanguard and PSE) had with North and Hyde respectively So if Vanguard wanted to sell Hydes, they had to buy from PSE and vice-versa. Now that's it's all one big happy family ? The sails are similar priced from the sailmakers to the builder..

which means the US sail is getting ready to be a lot more expensive!

Back