Laser sailing in Diego Garcis

Braecrest

As a Midshipman at the US Merchant Marine Academy, we are required to spend one year at sea. During my first tour I sailed aboard the USNS Shasta (T-AE 33) and had the honor to partake in Operation Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. And it was during this voyage I came to an island known as the 'Footprint of Freedom', Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territory. The island itself is about 43 East 7 South and is a tropical paradise (minus the bikini clad locals) well the point of all this is that the Diego Garcia Yacht Club has a small fleet of lasers for members us. And as my ship spent two and a half weeks in port here, I joined the club. What a great sailing venue, constant breeze, beautiful water, etc... every day after cargo ops or day work I would take one out until sunset. Life was good before steaming off to the land of sand.

The moral of the story is that even in the remote reaches of the globe, one can almost always find a laser...

Great Story....!!!!

I to have enjoyed laser sailing in the clear blue warm water.......its an amazing feeling having the warm tropical wind blow in your hair and having no fear as you glide with bathtub water splashing at you .... what a feeling.

We usually sail under the palm trees in bathtub water year round...only problem is...it's brown river water :)
Two out of three's not bad.DL Ft. Myers

Back