laser sailing camp

12scy

Where can a teenager find a place to sail lasers over the summer? She used to go to a yacht club, but she moved and doesn't know where to sail! Any suggestions of camps?? Thanks so much, it would mean the world to her.

Anywhere, but preferably in the Americas or Europe.

YMCA Camp Letts (near Annapolis MD) has Lasers (old, the last time I visited). You would need to see if they still sail them and I don't know if your daughter would qualify, age wise.

And then there are Laser clinics in a few places in the US. One can also sail Lasers in Cabarete (Dominican Republic); at Sunsail locations in Antigua and the Mediterranean, Minorca Sailing. All $$$.

Thank you so much! I'm going to look into all of those options right now.
Do you know where I could find out about the sailing clinics in then US?

Thanks for the tip on YMCA Camp Letts!
I am also looking for a youth sailing camp with Lasers. I am in Philadelphia PA and would like to find a overnight camp with a strong sailing program for my daughters.

Thank you so much for the links!
If anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know, because my daughter's friend is also looking for sailing camps.

Oh, okay...then they would be perfect for me!! haha.
Do you happen to know any that would be better for a 15 year old?

One that I know of is at the Lake Norman Yacht Club in Mooreville, NC, June 15-19. I think club members get priority, and it tends to fill up pretty fast. They do some stuff with teenagers on Radials/Lasers, but I think it is mostly geared for younger kids on Optis.

Another one I know of is Texas Race Week on Galveston Bay, July 11-16. It's not a "camp", but a week long series events at three different clubs. You would probably need to find a place for your daughter to stay. It is race-oriented and pretty competitive from what I remember.

http://www.txsail.org/youth/Calendars/YouthCircuit.htm

Then there is always CORK in Kingston, Ontario in August. Again, high level racing. Personally, I wouldn't let my child attend unless I was with them 24/7. I've seen the kids there make all kinds of trouble.

1. This is copied from today's Scuttlebutt:

SAILING SHORTS
* Entries are still being accepted for a “scholarship competition” that will
award a youth sailor with a completely free three week sailing trip in the
British Virgin Islands with the teen sailing camp “Sail Caribbean”. Entrants
are to be 14-18 years old at time of entry, and will be asked to explain in
250 words why we should use renewable energy and/or protect the environment.
Entry deadline is April 30th. Additional details at
http://www.gallerycollection.com/write-greeting-cards-contest1.htm

2. Have you tried googling 'sailing camps'? And, as torrid pointed out, many sailing clubs have 'summer schools', although most of them focus on teaching young kids to sail.

Hi there I am just new to the laser forum. There is a summer program with various camps through out the summer, Christmas and spring break vacations at the Royal BVI yacht club in the British Virgin Islands, Caribbean. Varied levels, great sailing and a nice bunch of kids that live on the islands that attend the camps along with visitors. Accomodation is with families of the BVI youth sailing team.
Contact Chris Waters [email protected]

You can find 4 different 9 day sessions at the Edison Sailing Center in Fort Myers, FL. I am one of the instructors and can say you will never find anything else like it! We teach the kids everything from "this is called your sail" to roll taking and other strategic things.

You can find 4 different 9 day sessions at the Edison Sailing Center in Fort Myers, FL. I am one of the instructors and can say you will never find anything else like it! We teach the kids everything from "this is called your sail" to roll taking and other strategic things.

Besides the obvious sales pitch, what makes you say something like this?

Or is that it?

Back