Laser questions

lounsr

I am looking at lasers for my son coming out of optis. Does an older (1986) laser have the same deck layout for hardware as newer versions? Will the hull be competitive if in good condition. Did they weigh the same back then? If I find a clean, dry, stiff older hull what would be different versus a newer model? My son was very successful in the opti class, so I would like to get him a raceable hull, should I avoid anything in particular while shopping? Thank you for any advice you can provide.

One thing to think about is if you want the new kicker/outhaul/Cunningham system(s) or are OK with the older systems. Cunningham and outhaul is not too bad/expensive to fit/make but the new kicker (vang) block on the mast is very expensive.

Of course the new systems can be fitted to older boats but if you are on a limited budget and want the newer systems it might impact how much you want to spend on a hull.

Ian

I just bought a hull from '87, and put it on the scale to check how close it was to spec. The scale read 130 lbs, which is exactly what today's boats should weigh.

As for how competitive an old hull would be compared to a new one, I recall a link from another thread to a recap of a recent race in the UK. A hull from '76 came in 5th in class, showing that an old boat can still be competitive at major events.

The previous two posts are right on target. As mentioned, you want a boat of the proper weight that doesn't leak. Once your son gets some experience in the Laser (4.7, presumably), you can consider a new sail.

Back